What kind of parenting tips, would you give to new parents? Parenting tips that you wish someone had given to you?

matheson7

Asked by matheson7 at 9:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Parents make mistakes often. Admit when you do .
    amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 9:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Do not listen to other people on what will spoil your child.  That's advice I wish that I had gotten when my first was born.  I tried to do the "cry it out" method.  Um, no.  Didn't do good with that.  With my next two children I cuddled them all the time whenever the mood struck.  Instead of fussy crying babies, they were very content and extremely happy.  They aren't "clingy" later on because they get the attention that they need. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Your baby does NOT need an entire wardrobe in size Newborn, lol.  I wish I had been told that one. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Don't believe the milestone charts to a T. All kids learn at different rates. And they learn quickly, so if they are a little behind don't stress too much. IF you are worried, take your child into the doctor, but for the most part don't stress over the amount of words and such. For most kids, it comes in time :)
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Sorry I answered the wrong question earlier
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 9:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Pick your battles, let your children make mistakes and learn from the mistakes. Let kids learn from by natural consequences. Do what YOU feel is best for YOUR child and do NOT let anyone else make you feel bad for your decisions. You are the parent and know what is best for your child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My older sister gave me the best advice when my LO was born. She said "Trust your instincts.". Boy was she right! My instincts have never let me down.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 9:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• don't always listen to what other people say.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The one tip I would give is...don't stress it. They all learn in their own time and when u let them do it their own way, you all win. A lot less stress!
    luvmebrats9

Answer by luvmebrats9 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Don't worry to much about messing them up. There's always therapy...
    Really, the stress we put on ourselves to be "perfect parents" transfers over to our kids, and THAT is what will mess them up. They need to see us fail, pick ourselves up again, and make amends. So, if your cupcakes come out looking like they are half chewed, just remember they still taste good, and kids don't care what they look like unless we teach them to.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011