Right now we are living paycheck to paycheck, and many months we can't pay all the bills. I attend church regularly but do not tithe, because I can't make the bills as it is. I have heard of people tithing and God gives them more money. Has anyone had this happen, or is it just nice stories you hear on TV?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i have not. we live the same way and no i usually just dont have the money to tithe. when i do its a dollar or two but no i have not gotten any money from it. i think its all just a nice story. by tithing you are helping support the church and the services they offer it has nothing to do with god.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I believe it is true
    You give and you shall receive
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i think its just a nice story
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 9:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Listen, God is happy you are in church, he is not the one interested in your tithes, just your faith in him, and it shouldn't have to be bought. Actually the church abolished the belief of buying your way into Heaven centuries ago, and for a good reason: it gave people the assurance they were going to heaven even when they were acting or doing horrible things. In this economy the fact that you have enough money to buy gas to get you to church is a blessing. Go to be with God and to hear His word. His word is one of love and peace, acceptance and tolerance. So please don't let anyone else in your church make you feel inferior because times are tight and you are unable to tithe now. If they do make you feel bad about this maybe you are going to the wrong church. Do what you can to survive right now, including prayer. When things turn around continue to pray and give thanks and tithe then. God is not an accountant.
    tammyk1122

Answer by tammyk1122 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I wouldn't say that God gives us more money but both dh and I notice a difference in our financial circumstances when we are faithful in our tithing. Like I said, we don't have more but we seem to have enough. We may not have money for the extras but the bills that are necessary are covered. There have been times when the internet/cable, cell phone bills, etc, get put aside but the mortgage, electricity are paid and there is food on the table. Another thing though that has really helped is is Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace. If you can read his book, Total Money Makeover. It really helps to put things in order of importance.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• You can't afford NOT to tithe. Tithe no matter what so God can bless you
    Anonymous

• Some magical hand comes out of the sky and hands out money?? How silly is that? If you are unable to tithe and only are considering doing it because you expect more money then you are at church for the wrong reason.
    Anonymous

• Tithing does bring financial results. One Sunday my husband and I had only 100 dollars. We figure we don't have enough to pay the bills anyway might as well give it to God. Well anyway to make a long story short before we left church someone felt led to give us $500. I can say from personal testimony it works!
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Tithing to God does NOT make you more money. God does NOT want your family to starve or be homeless. Pay your bills and take care of your family, the church can wait. If you can't make a monetary donation, the volunteer your time. Sometimes, churches need volunteers more.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• yes, it has happened to me, always when I need it most, but my faith is different than yours, and my understanding of God is also different from yours.

God has never failed me.

It happens even when its not with tithe, one week we were really short, we had to shop at the dollar store, wel when i went in a young couple i would say teens was argueing about what they were going to sacrafice, tampons food for baby etc..

When heard that I gave them what wouldnt even be enough for what we were short for anyway.

God gave us that what we gave and a hundred fold. Was I excited, yes, freaked? yes alittle because I had gone without giving for along time and finally I had faith that God had it in his hands, and he is faithful.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011