Fibromyalgia

I have an appointment tomorrow with the rheumatologist for the first time. I have looked at the symptoms and checklists for fibromyalgia and I seem to have a lot of the symptoms. What kind of things should I do or bring to the appointment with me that will help them on seeing if I have fibro?

BubblesB

Asked by BubblesB at 1:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Health

• I have fibro and a nonspecific mixed connective tissue disease. First, make shure they do an examination, and blood tests. Ask them to do an ANA and test for rheumatoid arthritis. INSIST. Be aware though your rheumy may tell you if you have fibro only that they only want to see you if you are having so many problems that your reg doctor cannot treat you. They have had so many cases of fibro they are sick of seeing fibro patients.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I had the RA test by my doctor and it came back normal but I am going to have them do it again and do xrays or whatever else they need to do. I just can't stand this pain anymore and I plan on being a big thorn in their side. I am not going to give up on this. Thank you Susie for the advice : )
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 1:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I have fibro also. The thing I would take in is whatever questionaire you took that makes you think that's what you have. Tell him these are the symptoms I have and this is what I'm afraid it is... Ask him how to go about diagnosing it. I was diagnosed only after almost 8 years of tests came back negative. Depending on what symptoms you have it could be lupis (fybro is a form of lupis).

http://arthritis.about.com/od/fibromyalgia/l/blfibroquiz.htm

This one is a good one... Print out the results and take them in to talk to the dr.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Funny that you mention that because my cousin has lupus. So it does run in the famly some place.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 3:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I just took the test here is what it said

You answered 11 items out of 15 correctly.

Your score is 73%. You have many of the symptoms which can occur in combination for people suffering with fibromyalgia. Consult your doctor if you have chronic widespread pain.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 3:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• That's what I would take in to the dr to review... Tell him about some of the questions that you answered and see what he says...

I got 14 out of 15 and a 93%... Needless to say, I have it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I wish you well with your visit. I'd like to know what they suggest for you. I know many people who have been helped with vitamins, detoxing, and probiotics. All natural for you! I'd be happy to suggest what has worked for others. This is not like a cold. You need to get yourself educated and do your homework as well. Most doctors will put you on meds but ask others if they are feeling any better with them. You don't have to live in so much pain! Best of luck,
    Health4U

Answer by Health4U at 5:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Unfortunately, FM is a hard disease to live with. It feels like you have the flu all day, every day. Some days are worse than others... I've had this disease since I was 24.... to top it all off, I don't take any medication for it because we are so actively trying to have another child.
    There are medications you can try for FM, along with anti-depressants, muscle relaxers, and B vitamins. I've not been able to try some because of my BiPolar, but you may have success with them... they are called Lyrica and Cymbalta...
    Good luck to you, and don't be scared. You are too wonderful to live your life in pain.
    sobeitlove

Answer by sobeitlove at 6:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, I seemed to have all the right symptoms, and all the tests were done etc. Then a different doctor looked at all of my test results and noticed that my gluten antibodies were elevated on one of the markers (I was told by my first Dr that since only one was elevated it was most likely a false positive). The second doctor told me to go on a gluten free diet. All of my fibromyalgia symptoms went away. If I accidentally get some gluten they all come back.

Just something to consider.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2008