Kick Me

sign. Do you consider a student putting a kick me sign on another student bullying?? On the radio this morning they debated over whether it was a harmless prank or if it should be considered bullying- what do you think?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/elementary-school-student-suspended-kick-sign-prank-nyc/story?id=12950659

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• If it is a one time thing than it is a probably a prank. If it is part of a long line of things done to that child than it is bullying.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• If it's just the sign, NO. But if the sign is on a list of things that are being done to a child, then yes it is bullying.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I'd say it's bulling... they are asking others to join in and cause harm. Any "prank" that involves violence is not cool!!
    I work in a HS and I wouldn't be surprised if a kid got suspended for that... we have a ZERO tolerance policy

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• YES.
    Anonymous

• When kids did this when I was in school, people would actually kick the kid who had the sign on them.  I say suspend them all.  Those kids need to be focused on SCHOOL not writing stupid notes.  If my child did this to another kid, I'd kick HIS or HER butt.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• hmm... im not sure about this one. on one hand i think yes. but i also think it is kinda harmless...i'm on the fence here
    paramoreMommI

Answer by paramoreMommI at 9:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Kids shouldn't be forced out of school for writing a harmless little note. These "bullied" kids need to grow a backbone IMO. I was bullied all through middle school, as was my brother, and we dealt with it instead of sobbing to parents, getting anyone suspended, or killing ourselves. And now we are well adjusted adults. Bullying teaches kids an important lesson- life isn't fair and a lot of people are mean. There are adult bullies at my job and in my neighborhood- I'm glad I learned how to deal with it young! Zero-tolerance polices (against ANYTHING) are fascist by definition.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 10:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It could definitely be considered bullying. You had better believe that if some brat put a sign like that on my child and he got kicked, I'd be livid.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I agree if its a one time thing then I would take it as a prank but if it happened more than once than its bullying
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I have to agree that any "prank" that advocates violating someone's personal space and promotes violence needs to be discouraged. No child should be placed in a position where someone invades their personal space and physically hurts them. Today a sign that says kick me but tomorrow a phone number with whore and call for a good time on the bathroom stall. While a first offense should be swiftly taken care of in a respectful way, not to shame the kid who made the sign, but to have a consequence and to have an educational opportunity that this is not acceptable and why. To take this as a learning opportunity that you NEVER violate some one's personal space and threaten physical abuse - no matter how benign it may seem.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011