What other signs should I look for if I suspect my 3 yr. old may have Autism?

I have a 7 yr old w/ ADHD. I also have a 3 yr old who started showing the same symptoms and was diagnosed as well. Both are on medication. The meds worked wonders for my 7 yr old, and did help some with the 3 yr old. Now I'm noticing other behaviors that dont make sense. The main one is he hits himself, bangs head on floor or wall - anything to deliberately hurt himself (not to mention that I'm having a really hard time potty training him). Is this a cry for attention (his younger sister was a surprise and is exactely 13 mo. younger), or is this another sign of ADHD or is this a possible sign of autism? I haven't addressed this with the pediatrician yet and I just don't know what to make of his behavior (even though he is only 3), but Autism is something i'm not familiar with at all. Please help!

tm.nixon

Asked by tm.nixon at 10:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Kids' Health

• It is in the realm of normal behavior for this age for him to bang his head on floor or wall but it can also be a sign of autism. Is he capable of original thought? (like does he put 2 and 2 together and come up with something new versus solely mimicking?). Does he make eye contact with you and others? Does he like playing with others or do others bother him and he prefers to play independently? These are some of the more well known symptoms of autism...of course there is a whole spectrum and some children who are diagnosed only have a few mild symptoms. I'd google it if I were you.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2011