Are there any CNA, LPN, RN's out there?

How did you retain all the information that you were taught in your classes? I'm in a CNA program right now and when we go to do the lab it's like my brain farts and I'm stumbling over the proper steps to take and every little thing.

I know once you get going it'll become easier and easier, but I'm afraid that after I take my state test and get a job I won't be able to preform in the workplace at first.

Also, we had our CPR certification class and I'm freaked out about having to give people CPR if they're in need and screwing it up or going blank when it actually happens....any tips? What's your experience with the first time you had to give CPR?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• I am a CNA and at first it seems like alot but with practice you will get it:) it is mostly commonsense but its still alot...I have beena CNA a while planning on taking a LPN course or will apply in April...GOOD LUCK!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i just started school for nursing also & was thinking the exact same thing. what if i forget? because i'm a great student! but once the class is over & the final grade has been given, i don't remember 95% of what was taught. maybe i chose the wrong profession =X
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 10:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• make note cards to use to study. keep them with you at all times.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I am an RN. You will eventually remember it, the trick is to put it into context. Take the information and relate it to something that you are familiar with.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I am a RN. The best thing for me was practice either in labs or during clinicals--I could read about it in books, but until I actually did the procedure myself it didn't fully sink in or make sense. I think as you go along and continue practicing and learning it will become natural to you and you won't even have to think about it anymore. I also used to carry a little notebook with me with all kinds of info. in it that I could refer to quickly.
    natersmom76

Answer by natersmom76 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I was a CNA and is alll about practice you do it over and over that just comes out naturally .
    amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 10:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I am an RN and have always been a person who needs hands on learning. Once you do it, you will retain it. As for CPR, over the last 20 years they have changed the protocol several times. Don't worry- All you need to know is ABC. Airway, Breathing, Circulation. As long as you get oxygen into them and get their circulation going, you will be ok. You don't have to remember how deep your compressions are or the ratio of breaths to compressions. In the moment, you will know what to do! That is the best anyone can do, right?
    kassie726

Answer by kassie726 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I went in for surgery and told them I was going to school to be an RN and she said, honey, on the job training is where you get most of your knowledge of how to be a nurse. The background info is important but on the job is the best way to learn. That's what she told me.
    AequitasVeritas

Answer by AequitasVeritas at 10:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2011