How do you switch to milk instead of formula?

My son is having a hard time transitioning from formula to milk. He is 1 and it's time he be on milk and not formula anymore. Any advice?

AequitasVeritas

Asked by AequitasVeritas at 10:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did it an ounce at a time with my daughter. Started with an 8 oz bottle consisting of 7 oz formula and 1 oz milk. Every couple of days, I upped the amount of milk until she was on milk entirely. Then I dropped the bottle and started putting warm milk in a sippy cup instead. She is almost 3 now and still likes her milk warm. My son just refused the bottle and formula at 11 mo. and I just started putting cold cow's milk in a sippy and he took it no problem. Depends on the kid. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Start him off slowly like mixing half and half at first and gradually getting him off the formula! If he is still having problems he might be alergic to cow milk. So they have like almond milk and soy instead.

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 10:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I never had any problems switching my kids from formula to milk at all. In fact they seemed to prefer it.

matheson7

Answer by matheson7 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I always treated milk as a totally different thing. Around 11 months I would start putting a little in a sippy cup. I never put it in the bottle because that was just for formula. Between 12 and 13 months we were done with the formula all together and they were used to having the milk in the sippy cup.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i was unsure if my daughter would be able to switch so what i did was for an 8 oz bottle: 6oz formula and 2oz milk. and then if she handled that, i would up the milk and lower the formula until she just was drinking milk. good luck!
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• you need to understand that a baby doesn't understand that all of a sudden they turned one. They know what they are used to. there's no magic number for anything...my daughter still takes a bottle to go to bed and she is very healthy and just fine. she also drinks plenty of milk....just do it gradually, if he doesn't like it, then switch back for a while...it's not a big deal. Make sure he is also getting his complete nutrition before you take him completely off of it..from whole foods.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• He only needs to drink water. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 10:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• First day 1/4 milk 3/4 formula. 2nd day 1/2 and 1/2....3rd 3/4 milk 1/4 formula...4th day full milk...not necessary days...could be a few days of transitioning. Otherwise, switch the baby's formula with soy milk...it's gentle on the tummy and you can get different flavors and when the child gets adjusted to that, you can slowly move to whole milk if you'd rather. G'luck!
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 2:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2011