Toddler Formula

Is it really better than whole milk? I feel like pediatricians tell you to switch to whole milk at a year for a reason but the toddler formulas do contain more nutrients. I started my son on toddler formula at 9 months (instructions say for 9-18 months) but was thinking about going completely to whole milk when he's a year. He's almost 11 months and right now. He's a picky eater and when he's teething he fights me at meal time and doesn't eat enough so I feel like he needs the extra nutrients in formula that whole milk doesn't have. How do the rest of you feel about toddler formulas vs. whole milk?

courtloux_128

Asked by courtloux_128 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I put my dd on toddler formula when she turned a year because i didn't feel like she was ready to give up bottles (even though its recommended) and she didn't like milk. Now she is 14 months and prefers milk. I guess she just needed a couple extra months to adjust to the switch.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 10:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• toddler formulas are good for kids that don't have a balanced diet and can't. your situation seems ideal.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Ok so I just found an interesting article. Take a look...

http://fabnaima.blogspot.com/2009/08/formula-milk-for-toddlers.html
    courtloux_128

Comment by courtloux_128 (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Have you looked at the ingredients? Toddler formula is essentially baby formula. Sure, they get most of what they need from it but it is important for your toddler to learn to get his nutrients from food. Also, if you're supplying all the nutrients via formula, his body won't naturally crave the vitamins and minerals he needs from fruits and veggies and he'll miss out on all the other added value of eating actual fruits and veggies....like fiber and flavanoids (cancer fighters, etc.). Skip the formula...go with milk. Suggestions for picky eaters - hide veggies where you can...pureed veggies of any kind hide very well in a spaghetti sauce. Puree squash and put a layer of squash in with the cheese of a grilled cheese sandwich. Also, offer veggies as appetizers or snacks when kids are really hungry...give dip or make it look like a funny face. Sometimes it is more about hunger and presentation. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think I'm going to switch to whole milk at a year as long as he's eating well but keep the toddler formula in mind in case he has an off day (or week, you never know). But I'd still like to hear opinions.
    courtloux_128

Comment by courtloux_128 (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• yes...I kept it on hand...my daughter eats very healthy...she drinks milk, but we are still having a hard time ditching the bottle...she still wakes up every now and then at night and will suck down a whole bottle...I think it's growth spurts too. She only takes a bottle to sleep, but I would rather that than cry herself to sleep....and no, she doens't have bad teeth and no she doesn't go to bed by herself with it...it's our choice and she's very healthy. I get similac go and grow...she uses it very seldom :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• OP...also remember to gradually switch it...babies don't understand that they are a year old....they only know what they're used to....just mix it bit by bit until you're completely switched over :)
    calliesmommie

• I switched my Son cold turkey from formula to whole milk at one. He Loved the milk! No need to gradually switch. I would skip the toddler milk altogether & give him a multivitamin daily. That is what a Pediatrician will tell you. He should already be taking a vitamin anyway if he isn't.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• We switched to whole milk just after age one, and switched to low fat milk around age 2. We have used toddler formula on occasion too, but only because it was convenient when we were traveling. I don't think it's necessary unless they have problems.

My son is a picky eater, and I hide a lot of veggies in oatmeal, yogurt, spaghetti sauce, and even in things like muffins and pancakes. Also, he's inconsistent about eating meat (probably doesn't help that I was a vegetarian for years and I still don't eat meat all the time either), so his iron tested low once last year. We put him on Poly Vi Sol w/ iron (just one dropper in about 2 oz juice mixed w/ 3 oz water) each day. He has tested normal ever since, and will eat meat occasionally now. Sometimes I'll skip the vitamin for a day or two if he's had a pretty balanced diet all week. He's good about eating whole grains, fruits, and dairy--just bad about veggies and meat.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I asked this question myself but my son is 2 1/2 years old but only weighs 25-26lbs. He eats really well but WIC is concerned that he doesnt weigh enough for his age. They tell me to add butter to everything and stuff like that to help him gain weight yet they are only providing him 2% milk and not keeping him on whole milk. I am wondering if I should just supplement his 2% milk with toddler formula. He doesnt drink a lot of milk because WIc and pedi tell me not to so he drinks water, some 100% juice and like maybe 2(4 oz) cups of milk a day. If they want him to gain a little bit of weight I am wondering if the toddler formula would help without raising his chloresterol lol
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 12:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2011