Has any ever had to perform CPR?

I took my healthcare worker CPR class the other day and it hit me that I'd have to do this someday working with the elderly.....

What was your first experience like? Did they survive? Did you blank out or did it all come flooding back to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Health

• You will freak out, you will forget things, all normal. Just remember, if you are doing CPR they are already in BAD shape and you can only help. You can't make it worse.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• In 20 years I have never had to do it. Although I am a pediatric nurse, I have always worried about finding someone out in public who needs help, or coming across a car accident. I guess I've been lucky. If you ever need to do it, don't worry. You will know what to do.
    kassie726

Answer by kassie726 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I am an Nicu nurse, and have performed CPR many times. Some babies have survived while others have not. I also had to perform the Heimlich on a friend at a NYE party. You just do the best that you can and seek help!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes, I did when I was a ward HN working on a ward in Bethesda, MD. It's grisly and stressful. We were always taught that if you didn't crack a few ribs then you weren't doing something right. She survived a few nights and we were all surprised she was not a DNR to begin with. The code team brought her back. I was the lucky one to be in the room doing a 1:1 watch when she coded.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes. I had to do CPR on my daughter when she was 7 weeks old. I didn't think, just did it. My hubby said I was composed and just did it, but on the inside I was freaked. It was traumatic for me, but not the CPR part, it was the fact that it was my daughter.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 11:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes, I had to do it. We were at a popular swimming hole when the incident occurred. The ambulance did not arrive for two hours. It was hopeless and we knew it. She was probably too far gone when we found her as well. My coworkers were really nasty to me when I told them about the incident during the working week. Now I refuse to do a first aid course and I refuse to have anything to do with CPR.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i work in surgery and had to do it, however she was hooked up to the anesthesia machine so the Dr. was doing the breathing...we only had to perform chest compressions...it was very scary since the lady was only in her 30s and had a vagal reaction to putting the legs up in stirrups.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• yes I have...I am certified and have all the training necessary and am also a nurse so we have to know what to do
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 23, 2011