How to decide between a birthing center and a hospital?

We are trying to decide between a birthing center and a hospital. There are pros and cons to both. My main issues regarding the birthing center is that we would be let go 3-4 hrs after birth, and the overwhelming worry if something happens. They do transfer you to a hospital but a lot can happen from the center to the hospital. Can someone give me advice or share a story regarding the birthing center? I had my son in a hospital and there was an issue with the heart rate but other than that every thing was fine. Financially it would be better because we don't have insurance but I won't sacrifce mine or my baby's health. Please helpe me!!

jdzamko

Asked by jdzamko at 10:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• hospital
    Anonymous

• i personally would prefer a hospital because i do not want something to happen and it take too long to get medical attention to me or the baby..while a lot of people have positive experiences with birthing centers it scares me to think that 3 to 4 hours after giving birth they would just let me go and be done...i have seen from my best friends what can happen after birth and sometimes it takes longer than 3 to 4 hours...but it is a personal choice and hopefully for you the right choice comes easy i know there are a lot of choices out there now mine personally is a hospital
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 10:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It depends on the type of birth you want.

If you are wanting a NATURAL birth a hospital is the LAST place you want to be. Medical interventions come with risks.

You can request to stay at the birthing center longer. The ones here will let you stay up to 24 hours if you request it.

I personally would NOT have a birth at a hospital if at all possible.

Stastics have SHOWN that women who give birth in a birthing center or at home have BETTER OUTCOMES then those in a hospital
    Anonymous

• Depends on what you want from your Birth Experience.
    Overall, you're more likely to have a safer-happier experience at a birth center.
    We can always talk details if you like~~

You can decide what your priorities are. Then see who (where) will best suit your preferences and help you achieve them.

I encourage healthy moms to avoid hospital because you're much more likely to have a riskier experience.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• If it helps, most birth centers release you 3-4 hours after you're stable. The clock doesn't start ticking the second the baby is out. Most midwives are very understanding and accommodating and if you need more time, I'm sure they'll give it to you. I doubt they'd push you out. At least that's how it is at my center. If you have any more questions about birth centers I can tell you what I learned during my research if you personal message me. Good luck on your decision and remember it's YOUR decision. Don't let anyone tell you what's best for you either way, only you know that. :)
    MommyMegO2011

Answer by MommyMegO2011 at 7:07 AM on Feb. 23, 2011