Tubal ligation vs Vasectomy?

I'm considering a more permanent form of birth control, but idk which would be best. I would like to factor in risk, effectiveness, & side effects.. but I don't know much about either procedure.

If you get your tubes tied, will you still get a period?
If he gets his snipped, what will his ejaculation be like?

If you or your spouse has had either procedure done, can you share your experience? Thanks.

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 10:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Health

• yes you will still have a period and he will still ejaculate as usual just with no sperm in it. but it will look the same and feel the same.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My dh and I had decided that if our second child was a c-section like our first, that I would have my tubes tied, since they were already in there. If not, he would get a vasectomy since it was an easier surgery for the man than for the woman (at that time).

My dh had a vasectomy over 16 yrs ago. (He had it a couple of months after our dd was born, and she will be 17 in April.) Even then, it was a relatively simple procedure - outpatient, local anesthesia, and he was home after a couple of hours. He spent a few days on the couch with a bag of frozen peas on his groin and then was fine.

He's not had any problems with it, and he says (not just now, when it's been so long, but even right after he had it done), that sex doesn't feel any different for him. If anything, it's better for us both, because we don't have to worry about birth control. Neither of us regret it, but I've heard reversing it can be painful.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes, you will still have a period after a tubal ligation, it's just that the egg will not be able to get through each month because of your fallopian tubes being "tied" or cauterized, therefore no pregnancy can happen. And for men, the tube that carries the sperm into the semen is cut and cauterized, therefore you have the same semen and the same sensation during ejaculation, just no sperm in it. Tubal ligation requires anesthesia and surgery; vasectomy can be done in a physician's office(should go to a urologist for this) with local numbing of the area. Both are very effective forms of birth control, but are meant to be PERMANENT so you need to be sure of your decision.
    natersmom76

Answer by natersmom76 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I had mu tubes done. The surgeon actually removes a small section. It was a good solution for me as I knew that I did not want to have more children. You can not predict if you will have a new lover or a new husband, so do not rely on another person for birth control. You do it for yourself and your health.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I had my tubes tied when I had my c-section with my daughter. I get normal periods every month, and have less cramps that time of the month. the only change i notice since i had a tubal is that my periods are heavier then they used to be beforehand.
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 1:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Vasectomies are easy, and so much less invasive than tubal ligations. They are more effective, too. My husband said his was a piece of cake. His biggest complaint was the smell of burning skin while they were cauterizing him. Really, he was in and out and healed fast. The sex is exactly the same, only without the worry.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:57 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Get a vasectomy is MUCH easier on everyone and it's reversible if anyone ever changes their mind...it's done in the office and takes 5 minutes...a Tubal ligation is done in an operating room under anesthesia (which poses enough risks) and VERY difficult if not impossible to reverse. With a vas, you need to remember that you can still get pregnant for up to 6 weeks after...so either use a condom or let him relieve himself (which will get it out quicker)....the only way you will not have a period is if your uterus is taken out....your fallopian tubes is what connects your uterus to your ovaries...has nothing to do with your periods..
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I had Essure done instead. I had it done in office. I was down that day and that was it. My periods are just like they were pre-kids. I love it. I highly recommend it because it is also the only sterilization procedure to have zero pregnancies during clinical trials.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2011