Et tu, Georgia?

Rep. Bobby Franklin, (R) of Georgia is introducing his version of a "Personhood" amendment, demanding the criminal investigation of any miscarriage and outlawing any form of birth control that would cause a fertilized egg to be expelled. It's unlikely (I hope) that his bill will pass, but it begs the question of how far we will allow the government, whether state or federal, to interfere with the most personal aspects of our lives.

Keep in mind that by granting "Personhood" status to a zygote would mean that IVF would no longer be possible, and women who have suffered miscarriages could be subjected to criminal investigations.  This is very frightening stuff, here.  I have a hard time believing that such a thing would even be considered.

How far will we allow these laws to go in protecting a fertilized egg over the rights of a fully-grown woman?  Do we want to prevent couples who are having trouble conceiving from having the hope if in vitro fertilization?  Do we want families who are mourning a miscarriage to suffer an inquisition?  Do we want a reliable method of birth control (as in the Pill) removed from our choices? What are your thoughts?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The only people that need to worry about my uterus are me and my personal physician. I do not need any STATE regulating or monitoring my fertility.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think it's awful that it would impact IVF and cause more pain for people who have miscarriages!

I haven't read the bill, but it can't outlaw abortion can it? I mean - that's been upheld federally right? So why make these other restrictive laws (like about birth control) when people might turn more to "normal abortions" that can cause worse complications?

Doesn't make sense to me.
    Anonymous

---

ITA w/ Sisteract
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I saw something of this briefly yesterday talked about interviewing people after miscarriages to determine if it was medically induced or not and all I could think of if someone came to my door after I lost my child they would have needed medical attention to remove their clip board from a not so nice location.

Not a good idea on any level.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I agree with Charis. That would not have been a pleasant visit........for THEM.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• this spastic rectum of a man is the same one who wants rape victims referred to as "accusers" rather than victims in court. note he is not proposing that for all criminal cases, just rape.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• "While it is unlikely that Franklin's bill will be enacted, it illustrates what may possibly be the result of all personhood amendments which are vaguely written, simply stating that all human life having constitutional protections begins at conception."

Unlikely...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I'm pro-life...and this is over the top, even for me. I had a miscarriage at 13 weeks, and I can't imagine having to give an account of what happened. The doctor didn't know what went wrong, and neither did I...so it would have been unnecessary trauma to me and my husband. I do believe in securing "personhood" for the unborn child, but I don't think anyone with common sense would investigate a miscarriage or prevent a couple from using IVF.
    Georgia's citizens need to tell Mr. Franklin to pull his thumb out of his a** and do something important or quit wasting time.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 11:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I agree with brandyj but I think its his head up there not his thumb!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• What an idiot! I am pro life..very pro life actually....BUT I have no desire to see Roe v Wade overturned. I would prefer a different approach...address the reasons why the woman would find herself in need of an abortion to begin with.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2011