Braxton Hicks?

I've been having contractions that are evenly spaced about 15 minutes apart, but they're painful. What should I do?

shanapiv

Asked by shanapiv at 11:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If they are consistently timed and continuing you should call your doctor, especially if the intensity is getting stronger. Its probably nothing but it could be early labor. Hang in there!

I had spells like that several times with my first and was even dilated at 3 for nearly a month. I went in three times and got sent home. I felt stupid, but I was also having contractions. If its any consolation I delivered fast when it was time because my body had been doing all the early work for well weeks ahead of time. Hopefully this is the case for you, too!

Good luck!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would just rest make sure you are hydrated and see if they go away. You are kind of early so you might want to call your doctor and see what they suggest. They might want to check you.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Are you well hydrated and rested?? Dehydration can lead to cramping. Make sure you are eating and drinking and getting enough rest. Try lying on your left side as well--this allows for better blood flow for you and baby. Is the baby moving well, or at his/her normal rate?? Call your doc if it continues or if you have any bloody discharge, fluid leakage, or decrease in baby's movement. Better safe than sorry.
    natersmom76

Answer by natersmom76 at 11:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Nothing until they get a lot closer.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• You can call your dr if you want but really until they are 5 minutes apart if all else is well with your pregnancy and you are close to full term you don't need to go in. How long has it been going on?
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Oh jeesh. I should have asked how far along you are? If you are due soon then they are more than likely actual contractions and sometimes they take awhile to get closer together. \
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Update?
    MommyMegO2011

Answer by MommyMegO2011 at 7:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I'm 36w2d due on March 20th. I've had them all day, but haven't called because they're still only 15 minutes apart..
    shanapiv

Comment by shanapiv (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Thank you!
    shanapiv

Comment by shanapiv (original poster) at 12:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• go to the dr. if they keep getting stronger.
    janeosborne

Answer by janeosborne at 10:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2011