DOes anyone know how much the Mirena IUD costs??? I was supposed to get it inserted and I was waiting for my DR. office to call me back and let me know if my insurance covered it. I finally was tired of waiting and called my insurance company myself. I have Aetna and my plan won't cover any type of irth control whatsoever unless its medically necessary. Can someone plase help???

KaylynnsMommie2

Asked by KaylynnsMommie2 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I got my Mirena a month ago and my insurance didn't cover it either. The IUD cost $585.89 and I had to pay for the office visit out of pocket too, I think that was a little over $100. It sounds like alot of money right off the top but this birth control covers you for five years, that's why I bit the bullet and got it. They (Mirena) will set up a payment plan for you though, if you want one.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 1:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• do you have a local health department becuz many times they offer those b/c for cheaper if your insurence wont pay for it.
    iv never had the mirena but iv heard its a couple hundered dollers plus the dr visit. you could call your dr and ask them how much it would cost you to do it with your insurence they should be able to tell you. or maybe they can pull some strings and make it "medically nessecary" depends on how nice your dr is anyway.
    Anonymous

• Go back through your doctor's office and see if they can get it classified at medically necessary. If they can't, look into getting it inserted at a clinic like Planned Parenthood where it's usually a lot less expensive than the doctor's office.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I talked to my health department and they dont do anything like that. They do have a program that Im looking into though.....THanks alot guys!!!
    KaylynnsMommie2

Answer by KaylynnsMommie2 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Do you have a local Planned Paretnhood? I had an IUD several years ago. At that time, my insurance wouldn't cover the costs (I think it was around $400-$500) so they suggested that I contact Planned Parenthood. I had a free consultation, and then they did everything right there for $150 (IUD cost including the office visit).
    4bridges

Answer by 4bridges at 3:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2008