ADHD

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 13. I'm due March 20 with my first and I was wondering, does it run in families?

shanapiv

Asked by shanapiv at 11:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Health

• My ds is ADHD. I asked his Dr about this one time, (yrs ago, but his Dr was an expert in this, he was seeing the head of developmental Peds. at Bethesda Naval Hospital). This is basically what he said -

There are varying degrees of having ADHD, and there are a lot of factors that contribute to someone having it. Some are genetic, some are environmental. If you picture it sort of like playing a slot machine, to have it, you have to get so many cherries on the row. A family member with it is one of the cherries, but it doesn't mean that they will have it - it's just one thing that can influence it.

Sort of like breast cancer, if there's a history of it in your family you need to be more aware and pay closer attention, but it doesn't mean that WITH a family history, you WILL get it, any more than NOT having a family history means you WON'T.

Hope this makes sense! Congrats on your little one :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes, it definitely runs in families. Boys are more prone to inherit rather than girls. Sometimes it seems to skip a generation. You know that having ADHD can be a blessing in disguise. It enables some people to work incredibly long hours. It enables some people to study more and at greater depths. See those people who are in the really high income bracket? Top athletes? Award winning writers? They nearly all have ADHD. Once you learn how to manage your condition, you can get much more out of life than the average person. And I do not mean that you need to always use medication to manage ADHD. Start to see it as an advantage.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 11:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My son is ADHD and I am borderline ADD. I don't know if it is hereditary or not but neither of my parents or anyone else in my family to knowledge is.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes it does.  I have it and my youngest dd has it.  I most likely got it from my father.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• MLM247 -

I agree! We used meds with my ds for awhile, basically long enough so that he could learn ways to control and channel his energy. He hasn't been on meds for yrs and yrs, and now, in a lot of ways, sees his ADHD as a positive. Just as you said - there are lots of high achievers who have ADHD - because they learned to channel it :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Idk...I think it does, just because my son is severely ADHD, and my daughter is ADD. Both of them have the same father, and he too had a very bad case of ADHD (or maybe still has...havent talked to him in years). The dr's they've seen said it can be genetic, but concidering he wasnt around nor was his medical charts, they couldnt go by my word about it. I know its a rough road. I love both my kids, and fought putting them on meds, but theres days sometimes they have to take them to keep thems from hurting themselves or each other or driving me slap insane!! best of luck!
    sissy4444

Answer by sissy4444 at 12:15 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• yes
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• yes.
    janeosborne

Answer by janeosborne at 10:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2011