OMG, Is Your Child a Ginger?(Red Head)

My Gr-dd told me today the kids call her Ginger, and she's going to hell because of it and also because she has 9/11 as a Birthdate. Well she had to explain Ginger is for kids w/red hair and freckles. I tried to tell her to ignore them, and some kids say things bec. their jealous, or just plain ignorant. Try to tell a 12 yr old this. Well low and behold wasn't there a segment on "What Would You Do?" on Prime Time Tonight about Ginger. I have always told her what beautiful red hair she has, hoping as she gets older she won't want to chg it. It's so sad what the kids do to other kids now of days, just in the name of what they call fun. She has skin the color of a peach but this is s really making her feel self conscious and I'm hoping it's a faze that soon will pass. Anyone else out there with a beautiful red head getting teased?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I absolutely LOVE red hair. I color mine red, my sons father has red hair and I was hoping he would too. Tell her that red hair is wonderful and unique. Here's where the "ginger" thing comes from....
    One of the definitions of ginger is "a light reddish brown". Both ginger and red hair are thought to be spicy.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I am a redhead and was teased about it. Kids are mean and will find anything to tease someone about. Now people are jealous of my hair and skin, I have people go out of their way to compliment my hair.

Tell your granddaughter to tell them, "I can dye my hair, but too bad for you, you can't change ugly/stupid/jealousy...".

Hugs to her... it gets better. It really does.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Poor girl =( Kids will seriously pick on each other for anything, it's so sad.

Show her pictures of famous actress's, singers, and other celebrities who rock the red hair. Maybe have her pick out a hairstyle that would make her feel good or pick out clothing with colors that look great on redheads. She's going through those awkward pre-teen/teen years where she's going to have a lot of body image issues so you'll just have to tackle it one day at a time and try to do and say things to get her mind off the negativity.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think red hair and the name Ginger are both beautiful. Children will find anything to pick on.

Did Nicole Kidman do any movies a tween girl would like? She'd be a great role model!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My oldest son is a redhead (no freckles, yet anyway) and he hasn't had any problems. He's in third grade. I think redheads are beautiful and I have to admit I am a bit jealous of their natural color!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Oh, in the vein another poster's advice - look up some famous red-heads. Here's a start:

-Amy Adams (perhaps at 12 your GD remembers Enchanted.)
    - Bonnie Wright (Harry Potter films)
    - Bryce Howard (I'm not sure she's in any films a 12 year old would know though.)
    - Isla Fischer
    - Kate Walsh
    - Kate Winslet
    - Julia Roberts
    - Nicole Kidman
    - Jayma Mays (from Glee)
    - Karen Elson (singer/model)

If you google "Famous Redheads" you'll get a LONG list of sites to poke around.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:37 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I am a red head and I have to say that I was never made fun of for it. My brother was also a red head. We never had any issues. I guess that we were just lucky maybe. I have 3 little ones and they all managed to be blond. How sad it is that kids make fun of others. It is my fear with my oldest one wearing glasses but she has not been made fun of at all.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The youngest is a red head and only 2 so no teasing yet. Funny in a way that people go out of their way to tell me how beautiful her hair is now will something she will likely be teased about later. Those same kids would tease about something else if it wasn't that. Its sad that some kids behave that way.

I am sure your daughter is beautiful and those kids not so much.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I am a red head and I was always teased in school. Some kids just have to find a reason to tease other people. Makes no sense. I do like my hair color now. When I was younger I hated that I had red hair, pasty white skin and freckles. I got over it when I got older. She will too. BTW, I have never heard red heads called "Ginger". I was always called "Copper Top", "Carrot Top" and even "Duracell Battery".
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• A friend of mine and I just had a conversation about this. She's a redhead. When she was 12, she was invited by her friend for a sleep-over. When she showed up in her Pjs and sleeping bag, the mother of her friend asked if she was a natural red-head. My friend's mother replied yes and why? The other child's mother, yes, a grown woman, said " i can't let her in, b/c she is the devil or redheads are related to devil, something to that effect...She was turned away in front of her group of friends who were already in the house. My friend's mother didn't want her staying anyway, who would want their child near a crazy like that....My friend said that was the only time her mother allowed her to dye her hair....to a fire-engine red the next day. Not sure if I am offering a solution, but just thought I share the story.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2011