Do you tell your kids about Santa and the Tooth Fairy, etc??

What's your opinion--do you think it's OK to be basically lying to our kids about Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy? I mean it's fun for them and fun for us to play along, but what about someday when they find out the truth??

natersmom76

Asked by natersmom76 at 11:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• My DD is only two so she hasn't grasped the concept yet, but we will. The best part of being a kid was the magic in everything! Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny. I wasn't angry with my mom for "lying". I figured it out and kept it going with my sisters. We always tried to stay up to see Santa and we failed every year by falling asleep, but it was the fun in it.

Too many kids grow up too fast. I want to keep the innocence alive as long as possible. With video games and tv shows that have kids glued to the tv's, we need to keep as much imagination alive as we can.
    IrishPennMom

Answer by IrishPennMom at 12:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• They are only young at once. You remember the feeling of truly believing in santa claus and toothe fairy? The magic? Let them be kids and feel that magic. There's plenty of time for harsh reality. When they find out the truth, I'd tell my children exactly that. It's a tradition, a chance for them to feel the magic, which is not privy to grown-ups.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Of course I lie to them - they are kids..... My parents did it to my brother and I and we were NOT damamged, we did NOT resent our parents for "lying" to us ( we are all very close still )

I also teach my kids about white lies... I tell them its ok to lie sometimes .... Like when my sister in law tries to cook, we tell her it is good, not that it gives us upset stomaches.

We go all out for santa believing - we do letters ( to and from santa), cookies, pictures with santa.... we even make "reindeer tracks" in the snow..... They get baskets from the easterbunny and we have left "bunny poop" in the yard too ...... Neither of my kids has lost a tooth yet but when they do we will be all about the tooth fairy !
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 12:15 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I will be 30 in April and my dad STILL tries to convince me that they're real, even though I know better. Yes, I tell my kids they're real, and will continue to so until they figure it out on their own.

So let them be little 'cause they're only that way for a while
    Give them hope, give them praise, give them love every day
    Let them cry, let them giggle, let them sleep in the middle
    Oh just let them be little ~~~Lonestar
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I agree with all the Ladies. Let them be kids! My daughter's 11 and her cousins (now teenagers) told her the truth acouple of years ago but she wasn't upset or anything. In fact she still plays along. It's fun! :D
    cecyh9

Answer by cecyh9 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I found out the truth on my own. I wasn't upset.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• LOL--sorry about your SIL's cooking!!
    natersmom76

Comment by natersmom76 (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2011