What would you do ? adult content

If you middle school child was on a hit-list at school.

A kid who has had problems made a hit list at school... it had about 20 different kids on it - my child being one of them ( we also have an elem. child too ) ....

Nothing was done about this for a couple days after finding the letter...

the kid who wrote it was then kicked out of school for TWO days and is aloud back at school -- her father is a COP ... so I see it in a way that it he might have "smoothed it over" or something - I also see it as there is guns in the house and easily accesable to the child ( we live in a small town and it is also know that the family is avid hunters, meaning it is common sense that there are guns and such in the home) ....

This happened last week. my kids have not been back to school since - I have a younger cousin who is also in middle school and has went back to school on Monday and has said that the girl who made the threats laughs about it , and doesnt deny that she wants to shoot up the school -- yet nothing is being done about it !!!!

It makes me so sick to think of my kids going back to school... especially this school , even before this I have thought about homeschooling ( I would use virtual learning and also I would do alot of teaching and things too ) ... This isnt the first time the school has failed in my opinion and I know there is no perfect, safe school ( which we wouldnt be able to move anyways) ......

My husband goes back and forth, one second he agrees because he is afraid but then the next he wants them to be in school - only so they can play sports ( even though they can be in alot of activies and sports without being in the school system) ......

I dont think it is just my nerves from this incident, I think it is something we should do.... What would you do ? Wouldnt you be scared to death to send your kids back to school ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My child wouldn't step foot in that school again!

I would suggest taking it to the school board. That's something that cannot be ignored.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would make a huge stink at the school and with the local school district, as well as the local newspaper. Does a child need to die before they do something about it? It isn't a joke and school officials need to acknowledge that. I think you are doing the right thing keeping your children at home. They can play sports,etc. without going to school.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 12:01 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes I would be scared to death. It makes me sick how much public schools blow off the things kids say. That is why there is so much bullying and problems like what you are dealing with. I always hear about "zero-tolerance" for bullying and threats. But thats all it is..it's just words because their actions do not show "zero-tolerance"...And what really gets me is when you hear about a school where a child shot the school up..Everybody acts surprised. I think that is why homeschooling is getting more and more popular. If you have the patience and commitment to homeschool..then go for it. At least your kids would be safe.
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Oh gosh my kids would not be going back to that school. I would also make a big deal about it, that's effed up, suspended for 2 days, she needs to be expelled! I'd write every newspaper and television station I could and get it made into an issue that the schools/police/etc can't ignore.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think the more important issue is to band together with parents to get this child the help that she needs. SOMEONE needs to do something about this student. You already have your children safe and out of school, now you need to help the other parents get together and get this situation resolved properly. It's not only your children at risk here, but an entire school of children. Those are someone's children, someone's life, and that girl is targeting them out of whatever emotion. If she's laughing about it and bragging that she wants to shoot up the school, then to me that's boarderline sociopath. She really needs psychiatric help and someone needs to step up and remedy the situation before she attacks. It should not be ignored, ever. You really should be the first voice and not only because your child was one of the targets. But because other parents deserve their children's safety to be secured as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I agree with Simplicity3. Definitely go to the school board and/or superintendent. Do what's safest for your kids..you are their protector. Also, when you pull them out of the school, make sure the principal knows that you no longer consider that school safe for your son because that girl threatened him specifically, and that she is continuing to brag about the "hit list". Bullying shouldn't be tolerated!

And you are right too....they can do sports still, there are plenty of leagues.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Oh you should absolutely go to the school board. Two days of suspension is completely unacceptable for a child with a hit-list and wanting to shoot up the school!! Do they not realize that these things happen on a daily basis? I don't blame you for wanting to homeschool. If I couldn't get anything from the school board I would definitely consider homeschooling them. You want your children involved in activities, but not at the risk of them being harmed!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 10:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• That is really concerning...nothing was done for days? That is just wrong, it should have been handled immediately. I would not be comfortable sending my child back to that environment where a threat to kill someone gets a slap on the wrist. That superintendent is really asleep at the wheel and somebody is going to pay the price possibly. Yikes!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We'd be done with that school and probably asking the school board for sure and maybe even county officials why something was not being done about the one making threats. She is dangerously close to psychopathic behavior.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Go to the school board and file a complaint

File a police report about the incident and your concerns

File a restraining order

I would not just let this go away...I would get loud about this because this girl has said more than once that she's wants to shoot the school up and laughed - clearly there is an issue  there.

monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2011