At what age is a child too old to breastfeed in your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• When mom and/or child no longer wish to continue.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• The World Health Organization says that babies should be breastfed for AT LEAST 2 years.

I personally say child led weaning is best. When both mom and baby are done and not a minute before!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My pediatrician said that they stop getting as much benefits from it after 1. And I don't want to offend anyone, this is my own personal opinion, but i think it's kinda weird if your child can walk up to you and ask you for it.
    ibelayni

Answer by ibelayni at 12:21 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I'm with ibelayni and leksismommy; if they can walk up to me and ASK they're too old. BOTH my kids weaned themselves at 9 months old. They're now 7 and almost 4 and quite healthy.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I did it for 18 1/2 months, and I plan to go longer next time around. I will consider weaning once they turn 2, but not push it before. I'd say 3-4 is weird, but for some moms and kids, it's the right choice for them. I've seen even older than that still nursing.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I'm thinking if they're old enough to go to the potty alone - they're old enough to drink from a cup without my body producing it. I saw a documentary one day about a child who was about to turn 9 still breastfeeding. I so do NOT think so. LOL
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:40 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Anonymous- She said that since DD will be eating real food she will get as much if not more nutrients so breast milk won't do as much. So no I do not believe she was incorrect. It's fine if people do it longer.
    ibelayni

Answer by ibelayni at 12:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• dang. I am so sick of seeing these questions ASKING for opinions and then people get nothing but thumbs down!!! Oh wait, that's probaby for credits...(rolls eyes)...anyway, in MY opinion....i really don't care how old your kid is, but if you BF a 7 year old, don't do it in front of me...my daughter stopped at 8 months...well, WE stopped...she bit my nipple so hard 3 times that I bled....bad....instead of making it a negative experience for both of us, we stopped and I pumped until she was 13 months old...after that, i was too exhausted to keep pumping every 2 hours and decided I wanted to leave the house. So i now have a VERY healthy 2 1/2 year old who in the top percent of height and weight and very smart....now...let's have the thumbs down so everyone can get their credits....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My neighbor still feeds her daughter and she is 4. It just seems wierd to me when they come over and shell whip out her boob for DD to suck on at any time.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2011