HOW CAN I STOP MY 9 YEAR OLD SON FROM EATING JUNK FOOD AND NOT MY DINNER?

WELL WHEN HE COMES HOME FROM SCHOOL HE WANTS HIS OWN FOOD. HE DOESN'T EAT WHAT I MAKE FOR DINNER? HE EATS NOTHING BUT JUNK FOOD. LIKE ICE SCREAM CHIPS PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICHES. HE LIKES TO SNEAK AROUND IN THE KITCHEN WHEN I'M NOT AROUND OR WHEN HIS FATHER ISN'T AROUND. HE IS VERY PICKY ON WHAT HE EATS. HE DOESN'T LIKE SOME OF THE THINGS.

PRSTALLION

Asked by PRSTALLION at 1:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• don't buy the stuff, then it won't be there for him to eat. Put your foot down and make him sit at the table with the family and eat. Let him choose between 2 things for dinner that night. GL
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 1:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Dont buy it anymore.. If you are truly finding a way to stop sacrafice not having it for awhile and like the mom above me said give him the option of not eatting and going to bed or eating and going to bed like normal. Hell get hungry eventually trust me.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 1:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Don't have junk food in your home. Stock your kitchen and pantry with healthy food choices.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• dont buy it for him to have around in the house. and whatever you make for dinner is it and if he doesnt eat it or like it then to bad he can go to bed hungry. trust me he wont go to bed hungry but maybe one night. kids learn fast. just put your foot down.
    Anonymous

• Yep, as harsh as it sounds, dont buy the junk. He won't let himself starve. Try to make more meals he does like, as opposed to stuff you know he hates. Maybe look through a kids recipe book and see what things he'd like to try making with you.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Don't keep the junk food in the house. Don't let him have snacks if he isn't eating his meals. Give him consequences and punishments for sneaking into food when you've told him no.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Dont but it, problem solved. If you buy it he will keep eating it.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 1:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I guess I am wondering why he is getting to make those sort of decisions? I don't mean to be rude...or harsh but you are the adult thus you get to lay down some law. I would also agree with keeping the junk food out of the house. I have a VERY picky eater. The rule at our home is you eat what I am cooking for the rest of us or you the other choice is a meat sandwich and a glass of milk. Good luck..Picky eaters are a pain in the tushy..

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Heres what I did. When my kids come in the door about 3, they are entitled one snack. They eat really really early so I know they are hungry. They HAVE to eat right then. If they have not eaten by 3:30, then they have forfeited their right to eat. They get ONE snack. If they choose a brownie, then fine. If they choose a sandwich, then fine but they only get ONE thing. Because they know that, they usually choose things that will fill them up more. I was finding that they were eating 3 and 4 things and basically binging and being full at dinner. Also I moved dinner to 6 or 6:30 as opposed to 5:30. That helps some. I still have to monitor them though.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yep- don't have it available.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2008