How do you get the cat urine smell out of things?

My older sister/roommate has a cat who likes to pee on stuff. My younger sister came to visit this weekend, slept in my bed and left my door open all weekend. Now, everything smells like cat pee. Any way I can get the smell out?

Any tip help!!

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 12:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• have you tried baking soda?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• How about vinegar? Is the cat male and unentered? If so then he is spraying, marking his territory the same way a dog does when they pee on trees. If so he should be neutered or you will always have the problem with the smell.

Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 8:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• simple green.. full force.. saturate and let it sit . Sponge out and repeat as necessary. I know because one of our cats got locked in my truck all night. It wasn't pretty.
    myheartflys

Answer by myheartflys at 8:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Buy a thing of Natures Miracle from Pet Smart or Pet Co.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:13 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My cat doesnt really mark or anything but I know that alot of ppl use Resolve foam carpet cleaner on it. If it is in a corner you can also take a tin pie pan and put charcoal in it. The charcoal is supposed to absorb any unwanted odors. Hope this helps :)
    familynsni

Answer by familynsni at 9:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Because cat urine contains and produces ammonia, it is very recommendable not to use cleaners that contain ammonia.

The best option is enzyme based cleaning products. These are the products that work better to eliminate permanently cat urine odor and stains. I think that the best way to get rid of stains and smell is to use a dry powder cleaning product. This type of product works as sponges absorbing the source of stain and odor. You can find more information and products at www.stopcaturinesmell.com.

I am not an expert but my sister had problems with her cat peeing around the house and I end up knowing more than I really wanted to know. And, yes the smell is awful so I hope you find the solution soon.

Sarah-Mc

Answer by Sarah-Mc at 5:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• THANK YOU ALL!
    mrskrisher

Comment by mrskrisher (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2011