MY 5 YEAR OLD AND HIS WINING

MY SON LOVE TO WINE AND CRY SO MUCH IT GETS ME SO ANGRY. FOR EVERYTHING. WHEN HE DOESN'T GET HIS WAY HE NAGS AND CRYS. JUST LIKE WHEN HE GOES AND CALLS HIS OTHER OLDER BROTHER. HE WANTS HIM TO DRY HIM AFTER COMING OUT THE SHOWER. HE WINES WHEN HE GETS UP IN THE MORNING FOR SCHOOL. HE DOESN'T WANT TO PUT A CERTAIN PANTS OR SHORTS ON. HE ALSO DOESN'T LIKE EATING SOME OF THE THINGS THAT I MAKE FOR DINNER. WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP THIS?

PRSTALLION

Asked by PRSTALLION at 1:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• put your foot down hes going to eat and do what ever it is you say and thats finale when he starts to whine tell him he is going to sit in the corner for 5mins every time he whines and the timer doesnt start till he isnt whining and if he starts while sitting in time out start the clock again. He will get tired of sitting in time out and just do what he needs to do.
    Anonymous

• Refuse to respond until he speaks with a big boy voice and demeanor. Hes looking for a level of attention and when he stops getting the desired effect, he will find a new tactic. I would force him to do thing himself and sit there until he chooses to do so. You might find that it gets worse before it gets better. Once he realizes that you mean business, he will come around.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I watch a little boy he is also 5...I had the same problem with him! He wouldn't go to the bathroom alone,wouldn't eat what I gave him,would argue,wined about it all! I finally got sick of it and every time he would ask me to help him or do something for him and he would wine. I would ignore him and tell him "I will do it for you if you don't wine and act like a big boy and ask like a big boy". If he still did it I would put him somewhere by himself and tell him I don't care if you sit there all day you will NOT move until you act like a big boy,and understand that I'm the adult. Things did get worse for the first two weeks I did this with him,but after that he knew I meant business and I think he got it that I was the adult. He has been an awesome little boy now and even said he loved being at my house. It is all about standing your ground and letting the child know YOU are BOSS.
    RedneckMommy88

Answer by RedneckMommy88 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My 5 year-old also gets whiny sometimes. Tell him you can't understand whining, and he must use a big-boy voice to talk to you. That is the easy part; the hard part is sticking to it! Be consistent. I never give in to whining, so when my kids whine, I sometimes ask them, "does whining work to get you what you want?" They sullenly answer, "no." And that is usually the end of that episode.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 3:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I have 3 expectations in my house
    1. School comes first
    2. Respect everyone
    3. NO WHINING

When the expectations are not met I have consequences that will be given.

My son loves to whine. I just look at him and tell him that I can not understand a child that whines and if he wants to ask are talk to me we speak like we are supposed to, then I walk away. He gets the point. Sometimes we have to resort to the consequence chart.
    BoobooHealer

Answer by BoobooHealer at 6:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• This is going to sound off the wall BUT it does work. My 3 year old had a major problem with whinning. What I did was I started to whine as well. He would whine because he wanted to have something to drink I would whine back. This through him off. He just looked at me and then replied mom can I have something to drink in a big boy voice. The next time he started to whine I did the same thing. After the thrid time he got it and it stopped altogether{the whining that is} The key is also to overexagerate you whining...It works and before you know it he will be whine free. Good luck!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 1:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2008