Identity theft...is there ANYTHING I can do???

I just found out about 2 hrs ago that SOMEONE ELSE claimed MY children on their income tax claim. I have NO idea who...is there anything I can do about this? I've contacted the IRS and they said there will be an investigation, but I would PERSONALLY like to know WHO did this, and how many times it happened before now. After my fourth baby (3 yrs ago) I haven't been working, so I haven't claimed for three whole years. What if this person HAS been claiming my kids? Is there ANYTHING I can do??? I'm SO angry right now. This news comes at a time when I've got TOO much on my plate already! I'm so STRESSED right now it's not even funny. Any advice mom's?

Dmommy4

Asked by Dmommy4 at 1:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• there might not be anything you can do...but the IRS should handle that...it's tax fraud and that's not something that's in our control....I would hope that they would tell you, but they may not want to for fear of consequences...ie. kickin someones ass...that;s awful. I hope you get it worked out :(
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• The IRS will handle this situation. It is called TAX FRAUD, and the IRS will press charges against the individual. It is not identity theft, simply tax fraud. They may not even tell you who the person was, they will audit the person, take back whatever money is owed, and you will be able to claim the children on your taxes.. Be warned though, it could take a VERY long time to get your refund back.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• the father of the children, grandparents, aunts uncles?
    I only thought family because my Dh moved in with me and my parents when we were 17, my dad claimed him (then boyfriend) the first year, then he got a job and was going to file on his own, then his mother claimed him, and he hadnt lived with her for 2 years!, the IRS told him it was his mom and he could file charges and dispute it, but he said no, and told his mom that he knew what she did and if she did it again he would file charges against her
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011