What questions should i ask??

I have to take my daughter to the doctor because we have been referred from the school and school nurse for testing for add ... I just need some answers it would be great...

Culver2294

Asked by Culver2294 at 1:14 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• add what???????????
    A11

Answer by A11 at 1:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Are they testing for ADD or ADHD? You can be ADD and not be ADHD, but you can't be ADHD and not have ADD. Here's a link for a basic survey that they will use to begin the testing. It is NOT an end all, be all diagnosis.  Also, keep in mind that all of these things need to be judged on an age appropriate level.  For example, a 5 yr old is not going to be able to have the same attention span that, say, a 15 yr old has...

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• cont

Something to keep in mind and watch for though, is IF they say your dd has this, be leery of a Dr that focuses primarily or only on meds as a treatment. Meds can be and often are a part of treatment, and can really help, but should NOT be the entire basis of treatment. There are a lot of behavior modifications that can be used to help with this, and help channel an ADHD person or help focus an ADD person. If all they want to do is drug your kid, and there isn't any discussion of behavior mod treatments or treatment plans for this, then you should ask them about it, and ask for a referral to someone who can help with this sort of treatment plan.

Again, that's IF she is diagnosed with this - just because they're wanting to check her for it doesn't mean she has it :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My son was 3 when he was diagnosed with ADD. By the way ADD and ADHD are the same thing. My daughter, who's older wasn't diagnosed until 1st grade. My son was diagnosed by the preschool child study team. They came to his day care to observe him during his daily activities. I also took both kids to a child neurologist who specializes in ADD. Once you get the diagnosis you are entitled to an IEP. Take advantage of it. For example, both kids get extra time when taking any type of test. Check out the mom's group here mothers of children with ADD. Also check out the website for CHADD, a national organization for children and adults with ADD. They have a monthly magazine that's very informative for all ages. By the way my son is now almost 13 and my daughter is 14. Both are doing great in school. There is hope!!!
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• This is a question that is right up my ally. I was diagnosed with ADHD in second grade. That was when ADHD was first comming out and alot of people were referring to it as the new "fad diagnosis". Here are a few questions that I know I would ask if it was my daughter....
    1. What kind of medication alternatives are there?
    2. If she is needing medication, what kinds are out there and what kind of side-effects should I expect?
    3. Ask about a medication that wont give her what I call "zombie" syndrome.
    4. Are there any ADD/ADHD support group (so that you can meet people who will understand your struggles)
    5. Ask about the medication Strattera. It is what I took later in life and its time released so it isnt like Adderol or Ritalin. It helped me soooo much. It also seemed to have the least amout of side effects. Hopefully this has helped! Good luck and if you ever need someone to talk to be sure to write!
    familynsni

Answer by familynsni at 9:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• The doctor will just give you a questionnaire to fill out, as well as for the teacher and nurse. It's all subjective.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011