At what age do you think it is ok to spank

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't know but i have spanked my one year old a few times & i always repent later
    A11

Answer by A11 at 1:28 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I personally don't believe in spanking a child. There are other better ways to teach a child what is wrong and right then losing your temper or pulling a "do what i say not how i act"
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 1:34 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think around 3 is where children start to really understand the difference between "Yes" & "No". "Good" & "Bad". So if they display open defiance at that age, I think it's okay to give a pop on the hand or leg. Spare the rod, spoil the child! But serious spankings should be judged carefully. Let the punishment fit the crime. But don't be surprised if you have to lay him/her over your knee at around 6 or so. Just remember to talk to them afterward. Explain the severity of the crime and WHY the punishment was a spanking and let them know, if they never do that again then they'll never have to worry about getting spanked for it again. As parents we have to make tough calls sometimes, but when we think back to when we were younger we can recall what got THROUGH to us and what didn't when our behaviors were concerned. The apple doesn't fall far, so YOU do what YOU think will get through to your smaller version of you. Good Luck!
    Dmommy4

Answer by Dmommy4 at 1:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I agree with Dmommy . I started with mine when they were about 4. Bur Kayere is right,- never, nver spank in anger . Anger is contagous and can easily be picked up and imitated by children at a very early age .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:25 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Depends on the child.
    No child is the same, just as no parent's opinion is the same.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 3:09 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• we have given our children a swat on the bottom since they were old enough to understand that they were doing something wrong and that it wasn't accepted around 2 and a half and 3 years old
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• we started spanking when ds was walking, about 11 months, good and getting into stuff after "no" by its self wasnt working, but we just gave him a little swat on the back of his hand. we started spanking on the butt/diaper about 1 1\2. kids are smarter than what people give them credit for. he knew what he was able to touch and play with and where he wasnt supposed to go by that age. but thats what worked for us, some kids dont repond well to spankings, others do.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I have six kids..5 are now adults and I am proud to say I NEVER spanked my children. The adults are happy, educated people. Thank God I know other forms of discipline.

BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 2:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I don't believe in spanking children.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 2:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• When you know FOR SURE that they know what NO means. My rule is 1 swat on diaper until age 3. 2 swats age 3 and 4. After that, if you have been consistant, you should not have to spank anymore.
    Tracee F.

Answer by Tracee F. at 1:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2011