What are some early signs of autism?

I heard you can detect autism in infants under 1 year old! What are the signs, or ways to detect that?

Asked by Monnek at 1:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• noooooooooooooooo you cant. i studied autism specifically for 3 years. if someone tells you the "signs" you will not stop staring at your baby and looking for them. please relax. if it is possible that your child may be austistic your ped will tell you but you wont know for at least a year or 2. enjoy your little one and all of his or her quirks or you will drive yourself crazy

• One is that he wont make and hold eye contact. My 15 year old nephew was diagnosed at 4 months.

Answer by Lornamay at 1:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I have to disagree with Anon 11:38, Because I could tell something was different with my cousin and she was only a couple months old.

• Being unaffectionate, running into walls, playing with specific items like only the wheels on a toy car.... There really are a lot but there are also diff spectrums. Unless you are noticing VERY strange behavior then dont worry about it

Answer by Steph319 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I disagree too with daughter has PDD (autism) she would stare all the time at nothing at 6 months old...did not turn towards her name being called..loud noises bothered eye contact...she never pointed for anything....hardly babbled...most of this was all before she was one.

Answer by Dannee at 1:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• A big one that my MIL noticed (in retrospect) with my BIL was that too much action was overwhelming for him. As a baby he cried a ton- and now she thinks that with 3 older siblings and so much going on around him- it was just too much for the little guy.

Answer by sfwilson at 2:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I noticed Autistic characteristics in my daughter at 4 months. She would stare at nothing, putt her hair, she just laid there, she didn't want to be held, scream (not cry scream) for no reason, she didn't smile, she really had no emotions, she didn't have the "baby sparkle" in her eyes. SHe was just very strange and different than the other kids.

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• And my daughter didn't jump when something loud would fall but, loud talking would bother her, didn't recognize her name until she was two. But, you would notice your child acting very very strange and different than other children her age. I wouldn't worry about it.

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Go to Autism and look at the warning signs.

Answer by Kimebs at 3:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2008