Going out?

My SO and I are pretty young (18 &19). He goesvout weekly to have some guy time, which is totally fine with me, and he wants to hang out with some friends once during the week, not making it a common thing. I'm fine with him going out, I understand he needs guy time but I get jealous... All of my friends have moved away so he's the only one I really have left. And when my friends do visit I only get to hang out with them if I take DD (she's almost 1) I love her to death but I'd like to just be able to be with friends. It's also hard connecting with people due to my age and the baby. Any ideas on how to handle the loneliness and how not to get upset/jealous when my SO goes out?

ibelayni

Asked by ibelayni at 1:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• I know where you are, and I'm 33. Believe me... I know.
    You need to get the same time with friends away from your daughter that he gets. You need time to be you.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 1:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It's tough, but common. Express to him that you need time away too...that you can take turns watching the little one while the other one goes out. It's not a frequent thing for you, but even if friends aren't involved, you should be able to get out on your own too. If he doesn't accept the idea...and you still trust him with the baby...I'd say...leave him a note and sneak out...he'd be responsible to NOT leave her alone. I don't know. Just talk to him about it and see if he can be on the same page. He may need friend time, but even you need time outs to regain the adult conversations.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 2:37 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Have your so watch dd once a week while you go out just like he does. If he doesn't want to do that then he shouldn't be allowed to go out either. Simple as that.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You need to let him know that you need time away too. She's his daughter (i'm assuming) as well, so he can watch her just as you do. As far as making friends, check out some moms groups in your area www.themommiesnetwork.com is a great place to find a local group.
    KWnavywife

Answer by KWnavywife at 6:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2011