2 Year Old With Bottle

How do I get my 2 year old off the bottle. Whats the easiest way? Be Nice Please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well my daughter is a year old and i thought i was doing a really good job she was off the bottle completely using her sippie cup i was so proud. well the last few days she has been a devil when it was nap time and bed time and i was thinking it was cuz she was sick well she is not sick anymore come to find out she doesnt want to go to bed with the sippie cup she wants her bottle so here we are back tracking. i don't know either it is not as easy as i thought
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• You are the one with the control...My daughter had her passie until 3..I was afraid to take it away...fear that I would never sleep..well the first night I took it away...she was fine...went to sleep..
    I realized it was me that was afraid to take it away...Just do it...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I just had to let my daughter cry it out and when i took her off the sippy I told her really big girls don't use these and I gave them to her one at a time and she told her to throw them out and tell them she didn't need them because she was a big girl now. Idk your child might be to young for this. Don't get me wrong she asked but then I said remeber you threw them out because your a big girl now.
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 1:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Well I let mine have his until about 2 mos ago. He was 2 in April. I just didn't see any reason to take it from him and I really didn't care. Once he lost them all, I refused to buy him more. He began drinking out of a sippy cup out of sheer necessity. I think that once you know she can drink out of a cup, just take them away. Yes its not going to be fun, but a few days and she will do fine. I was surprised at how well he did. We just recently did the same thing with his passys. I was tired of buying them. He didn't throw a fit. I think I got lucky.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• okay ladies not being rude really but i think you are answering my question more then the posters lol she is having trouble taking her two year old off of the bottle. i am still using a sippie cup except at bed time cuz if i don't give her that damn bottle i will not sleep at all lol.but i think poster needs to try giving a sippie and throwing the bottles away
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I'm going thru the same thing right now with my 18 month old. She is still so little and I am afraid to cut her off cold turkey. However, the bottle is becoming a throrn in my butt too. I wish you luck!
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 4:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My son had cavities from his bottle at 13 months so i took him off of it the day his doctor showed me . My cousins daughter was on the bottle until 26 months and her daughter had to get her 2 front teeth capped because they were completely decayed on the backsides of them. so i say just take it away! it may be yucky for a few days but i would rather have no sleep for a few days then have to take my child in for dentist work especially knowing they have to put the baby under!
    mamad86

Answer by mamad86 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My DD turned two in September and we got rid of the bottle about a month ago. Since we have a four month old DD too I just told my oldest DD that bottles are for babies. I told her to help me throw out all the bottles and that we would go buy some new sippie cups that she could pick out. I thought for sure it wouldnt go over but she helped throw all of them away and she has never asked for another one. Plus since they were thrown away I wasnt tempted to give her bottle. I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 9:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• just take it away they will protest but you can try to just make it fun and get them to mock you or take it away they will eventually get thirsty maybe ut chocolate milk in it at first then gradually dilute it to hite as they get used to it
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I dunno because my son is 2.5 years old and still has his. Although, I don't see a problem with it so I let him keep it. He knows how to use a sippy and cup but just prefers his bottle. My son will not take milk out of anything besides his bottle no matter how long he goes without. Why not let the child decide when s/he is done with the bottle? I had mine till I was 4 and am perfectly fine.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:22 AM on Nov. 20, 2008