Splenda: just as bad as aspartame? Discuss.

My main reason for asking is this - I quit aspartame a month ago, which has been reeeally hard for me (because I love Diet Coke), but I have stuck with it. I drink mainly water and green tea now, but I'd like to allow myself a soda once a week and I hate regular soda.

If I allow myself a splurge, should I go with a Splenda-sweetened soda, or just go with aspartame?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 2:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Health

• if it's once a week, they're both just as bad...it's the process in which they use to remove the sugar...it all contains chemicals...they are all chemicals...why not some sweet tea??? it has a little sugar in it, but not the bad stuff, like phosphoric acid that eats away at your bones?? and good for you for sticking with it :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• As a once a week splurge, I say go for it. Overall though, I think all artificial sweeteners are pretty much the same and shouldn't become a daily habit.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• If you are going to drink soda, you may as well drink the real thing. Soda is NEVER good for you, so why pretend it is by drinking diet?
    You know, my mom drank diet soda for years. She decided to switch to regular (for the reason I just mentioned...) and actually started to lose weight. That's right. I said lose. She is a soda drinker as in all day, that's all she drinks. (because she simply must be mad...)
    None the less, it's like eating diet ice cream... Why bother? Really?
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 3:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You can get Truvia(sp?) it's a natural source of sweetener that comes from a plant. You could use that to sweeten drinks, but not soda obviously.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I'd say that if you are going to splurge then go for the real thing. It's okay to have a pop once in a while as long as you drink it in moderation. Artificial sweeters can have a negative impact on your body and your health for some many reasons. I would just stick to the real thing on this one.
    cocobrown28

Answer by cocobrown28 at 5:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I splurge about once every week or two on a Coke Zero simply because I cannot bring myself to drink all the calories in a regular coke. I don't know whether it's better or worse to drink the Zero, but it tastes darn good, and in the grand scheme of life, having one every once in a while isn't the end of the world.
    Kudos to you on kicking your aspartame habit!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would avoid both like the plague. Splenda is chlorinated sugar. The former head of the company was unable to get it through the FDA ... until he himself became the head of the FDA and pushed it through to market.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Oh I think regular soda tastes gross. If it's only once a week, it's really not going to matter if it's aspartame, splenda, or regular sugar.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Thanks ladies! Like I said, I HATE regular soda, so if I'm going to splurge, it's going to be diet - because that's what I like. I was just looking for opinions between the two evils, Splenda and aspartame. I know they're both awful, but I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over one diet soda a week. I think I will probably just stick with aspartame, because Splenda tends to give me headaches! (Instant indication of how bad it is, I guess. :) haha)

Thanks again!

P.S. I did lose weight after kicking the aspartame, which is just one of the many reasons I don't want to go back to it full-time. I'm not overweight by any means, but there was a noticeable difference in the way my pants fit and I didn't change a darn thing in the rest of my diet, just the diet soda!
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011