Im one centimeter dilated.

My doctor told me I was one cent. dilated today. So does this mean tomorrow I'll be 2? How does this work because I thought they would make me go to labor and delivery if im any centimeters dilated.. ?! =]

ohprettymommy

Asked by ohprettymommy at 2:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Oh no, it can take awhile to get to 10. I was dialated to 4 a month before I had my son!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 2:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It depends on the person. Some mothers dilate slowly over a period of time.. others will dilate and have the baby within 3 hours. There is nothing set in stone when it comes to having children.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 2:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It completes depends. Dilation is NOT an indicator of labor. You can be dilated for weeks. I was 4 cms dilated with my third child for 4 weeks before I had her.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• No it doesn't tell anything about *when* you will labor.
    You can remain this way for months (or 3 or 4 or 5 cms for months).
    Or you can not be dilated at all when checked then hold the baby in your arms 2 hours later, having dilated and delivered...

No point to get checked.
    If you don't have any reason, you can decline the offer.
    It is an unnecessary and invasive risky intervention.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Getting your cervix checked is really quite pointless. Women can not be dilated, then deliver the next day, or they can be dilated to 4 cm for weeks or months and nothing. Most women fall somewhere in between. How dilated you are is no indication of labor, until you are already in ACTIVE labor. Even early labor can last for days. Don't put too much stock into how dilated you are. Baby will come when Baby is ready. :)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I wish that was what it meant. You can be several cm for several months. If you go into labor, THEN its an indication of how far along you are to seeing a baby.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You can be dilated to one for a loooong time before you go into labor. I was dilated to 4 for a month with my last baby and I was going crazy! I had no idea you could be almost half way dilated and still not in "active labor"! Hang in there, labor will probably happen soon. :)
    pixiestix21

Answer by pixiestix21 at 3:52 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Your a long way away from 10 centimeter. This gets tricky because you are not in active labor yet. try walking. This can take a while, it can also take a few hours it all depends. you will know when you are ready. Did your doctor told you when to come back?
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 6:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• With my first two, I was never dialated at a check at delivered withiin days after that. With my last, I was at one for weeks and had to be induced 12 days past my due date. Don't put too much into that number...it does not determine when you will deliver.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• No you have a while just keep walking sex and all that good stuff. IF your far enough along i was 1cm for 2 weeks before i changed to 1 and a half and a half isn't that much lol just sit back and enjoy the fun of being preg lol it will happen when he or she is ready to come just don't get your hopes up i did and it just made me sad
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2011