How can i help my 13month old to walk by himself?

my son can walk really good when im holding his hands. and he can stand when i let go but if he wants to keep walking he will plop himself down and start throwing a fit!!! he took a step or two a few times. i know of other babies his age are already walking. What can i do to help him along?????

mama106

Asked by mama106 at 2:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• babies walk at all different times...he sounds like he's getting frustrated. just keep doing what youre doing and he will get it :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:13 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• he will learn by himself, mine started walking at 14 months
    A11

Answer by A11 at 2:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• He will learn at his own pace. Just keep working with him. Pace him out. Maybe a favorite toy. When he is standing on his own...stand close enough that you can catch him, but far enough for him to get a few steps in. Let him hold onto your fingers...and as you're in front of him...slowly let go after he's walking a few...when you let go if he continues...excitement and praise might encourage him to do it again. G'luck.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 2:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My girl started walking at 11 months. He will eventually get it. Keep helping him walk and let his hands go at times to see if he can balance himself. Eventually he will learn to take a step on his own :) Make sure to put plenty of pillows in the area too :)
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 3:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• he will walk when he is ready but i think it helps when you are walking holding his hands. My oldest didn't walk until he was 15 1/2 months and my other walked a few days after his first birthday.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• One thing that you can do is get items he want and hold it in front of him and he will try to grab it. This worked for my nephew. But rest assure he will walk, he is plopping down out of frustration. He will walk. Good luck.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 6:52 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Babies or toddlers at that time of development concentrate on either language or gross motor (walking). If you son is doing more babbling then walking that's just his normal development. My daughter walked at 8 months and my son didn't walk until 14 almost 15 months. He was a yakker. He would babble and yak all the time. As a result my daughter is into physical activity and my son would rather sit a read a book.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• spreading broken glass on the floor will often encourage a recalcitrant child to stop using their hands like a retard monkey
    do_me22

Answer by do_me22 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My youngest didn't start walking until 16 months! He was a speed crawler though so I guess he saw no need. But to answer your question, there is a product called Walking Wings that is supposed to help with the process. I think Babies R Us sells it. My neighbor used it for her son who was still not walking at 19 months
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:07 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Children develop at their own pace; don't worry, he'll be up and running before you know it and you'll wonder why on earth, as you're chasing him, you were so eager for him to walk ; )
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 1:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2011