How Can I Get My 3 Year Old Son To Eat His Dry Cereal With Milk?

We've always given our son dry cherrios and fruit loops as a snack, which he adores, but when we try to add milk he breaks down. He won't even look at the spoon. I know he would love a little bowl of cold cereal at breakfast just as much as he does snacking on the dry bits at snack time. Any suggestions??

MamaKalamity

Asked by MamaKalamity at 2:25 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Cereal isn't real food. Cow milk is for baby cows. If you are concerned about calcium, you can find a great listing of calcium rich foods (like dark leafy greens and beans) here:  http://www.soystache.com/calcium

Answer by rkoloms at 7:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Don't force it. My preschool boys love dry cereal with a glass of milk for breakfast. Nobody said they absolutely have to be mixed together in the same dish.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 2:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes, definitely don't force it. Let him show curiosity towards it and decide when he is ready to eat it. I am 25 and I still don't have milk with my cereal! I prefer it dry!

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• When it comes to kids and their eatting I try not to be pushy. You might just want to give him a glass of milk before or after he eats the cereal. But if you provoke him into eatting it with milk he might stop all together.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 6:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I wouldn't force it...there is no reason why he has to eat it with milk in it....does he drink milk with it? If not maybe it can be saved for snacktime, and he can have something else like eggs or oatmeal for breakfast.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:28 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it. He can get his calcium in so many different ways.
    myheartflys

Answer by myheartflys at 8:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Thank you for your response! You are totally right!
    MamaKalamity

Comment by MamaKalamity (original poster) at 3:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• LOL! I, too, love to eat my cereal dry, but I enjoy milk with it as well. We definitely don't force foods, we even let him help grocery shop. He just really thinks I am doing something taboo when he sees me pouring the milk into the bowl. I've even tried to get him to pour the milk, and he won't have any part in it. Encouragement tips?
    MamaKalamity

Comment by MamaKalamity (original poster) at 6:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Thank you everyone for your replys and advice! We definitely don't force anthing on him, for we have only tried it three times. It's not really about his calcium entake. He usually chooses to eats on his own three serving of calcium a day which include two glasses of milk with lunch and dinner. However, he is a very picky breakfast eater. And I am always searching for ways to come up with a breakfast he'll eat.
    MamaKalamity

Comment by MamaKalamity (original poster) at 7:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Why is it important to you that he mix milk with his cereal? If you're worried about getting him to drink milk, just give him a glass of it on the side of his bowl of dry cereal. Honestly, there are bigger battles ahead of you. I'd say just let him eat his breakfast like he wants to and don't sweat it. Is it really enough of an issue that you need to be "right" with this?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2011