My son won't talk

Hello I am a mom to an almost 4 yr old boy that does not want to talk. He is potty trained, he opens the fridge and gets out anything he wants, he plays, runs, jumps, and climbs like any other child his age but won't talk. I mean he repeats what he hears and it is perfectly clear, well as clear as other 3 year olds, but he doesn't initiate conversation himself. I had him evaluated by 3 doctors and none of them think it's autism. He likes to be held, he makes eye contact with people that he knows or is interested in, but he won't talk. Sometimes I have to make him talk like if he wants juice I have to make him say give me juice. But I don't know what it is, have any of you experienced this?

rchonjo

Asked by rchonjo at 4:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well that anon person wasn't very helpful. *Sigh*

The best you can do right now is what you're already doing. Try to force him to talk when you can, especially complete sentences. If he wants juice don't give it to him until he says, "I want juice please" for example.

How long has this been going on for. I know with my daughter that every now and then she won't talk. Her therapists feel that it's because when she's not talking she's absorbing information. It usually lasts about a month or two and then BAM she's talking more than before. That will last about a month or so and then she's not talking again.

I wouldn't worry too much. If 3 developmental psychologists say it's not autism then it's most likely not autism. You could take him to a speech therapist but it doesn't sound like he needs that if he does talk clearly sometimes. It could just be a phase.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• well u must be lucky not to hear hm
    mommy i want this or mommy i want that.....
    i only wish my girl would just point to something and then sit down when shes done
    Anonymous

• yes,my son who is 17 now would not talk either,when he started kindergarten they had me come in the school & tape record a conversation with him so they knew it wasn't a learning disability,he out grew it he told me he just didn't have that much to say that ppl talk to much lol ~ i'm sure your son will be fine dear,give him some space,he's probally an old soul like my son.
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My daughter was like that. I had her hearing tested. I had everything tested that i could. It turned out she was fine. When she did speak it was only to her older brother. By the time she went into kindergarten and was forced into interaction with kids her age (without her brother) she opened up and began speaking. Of course, she's 33 now and does nothing but complain but it was sure nice back then when she was quiet! She will speak when she's ready.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Thank you guys so much I am just so scared. I took him to his pediatrician who said he's fine and then he was in a pre school program and the psychologist there said she doesn't think he has autism and the speech pathologists and the teachers said they don't believe it's autism. And his speech is clear like he has been talking all his life now there have been reports of him actually having conversations by his teacher and my niece who is 8. And he has told me "I love you". I've been trying to force him to talk but I have an infant at home and I'm just getting worn out. I've been worried because I don't really like his pediatrician, I need to get a new one, but I'm in a new town and not sure where to start. I'd also like to get a referral or something for a private speech pathologist but his doctor won't give me one so thank you ladies again :)
    rchonjo

Answer by rchonjo at 4:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Also, he may barely have to say a word to get his needs met. Like all OP said, he is likely ok, just doesn't care to say much if he doesn't have to. See when he gets to school how he does. They will definitely let you know if there is a problem. You did the right thing with the doctors. Now, just relax and give it some time.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2008