Terrified child in my home, what to do?

Yesterday my neighbor dog bit my GF daughter. I was sitting in my living room with my counselor having my weekly session. My girlfriend sat in on my session just to get a feel of my counselor. Next thing we knew the kids came running inside crying screaming the dog bit "J". Her mom jumped up and attempted to go across to my neighbor to say something to them. I attempted to stop her but she is a bit hot headed when it comes to her child and can you blame her. I immediately grabed my phone and call 911. Long story short this dog has been terrirising the neighborhood for about a year now.

When the sherrifs came out the took the dog back across to my neighbor and allowed them to keep the dog in the house. We have called animal control on this dog on several occasion and still nothing has been done. It took several hours to calm the child down but she decided she will remain at my home. We were reasured that the dog was not going to be let out anymore. This morning I returned home after dropping my pre schooler off and to my surprise the dog is sitting in my garage. I called 911 once again and to my surprise the did not take the dog once again. What should I do?

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 5:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We are having a similar problem, and so far, no one is doing anything at all. The dog has attacked our dogs on our property, is known to be vicious, and even tried to attack animal control. We have pics of all this stuff too! They just keep getting warnings. My kids love to play outside, and now I'm afraid to even let them out the door because of this psycho dog! I told the animal control officer that when the dog bit or even tried to attack my kids, they would not have to worry about it any more. The officer went straight down to the neighbor and advised them not to let the dog out anymore, that it could be impounded and put down for aggressive behavior, and that we had the right to shoot the dog if it attacked. We haven't seen the dog for a while now.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• At this point, I would call animal control instead of 911. You might have to wait until it's during business hours though. Also, I would consider filing a claim against them in small claims court. (We had a neighbor once whose dog was a problem, and that's what the police suggested to me when they came to our house. We weren't the ones to call them - the neighbors on our other side did, because the dog was barking literally 24 /7 and was so loud they thought it was our dog - they couldn't believe it was coming from the house on the other side. So, the cops showed up to tell us we needed to get our dog under control. Well, that was easy to handle, because we don't have a dog, but in the course of the convo (and hearing the neighbors dog while the cops were there), that's what they told us to do.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Can't they get a ticket for having thier dog run loose? I would call them everytime i saw the dog running loose, most town have laws about that. I can't believe the owners still just let it run after it doing things to kids.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• you might be able to go to the courthouse and ask what can be done since the police and animal control are not. good luck
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 5:25 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• have you gotten any of this on video? showing that the dog is being allowed to roam? it might help.
    I'm sorry this happened, but I wouldn't give up.
    good luck.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Next time the dog is in your home, crate it and call animal control for them to remove the dog. If they have to keep coming out to get it they will get the point. Honestly, we had a dog like this loose when lived in the country and I became a great shot with the BB gun. It got the point across a lot more quickly than messing with the owners.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Find out what the laws are in your area on dogs biting humans.....the mother of this child might have legal action that will get the dog taken.
    And call animal control not the police to have to dog removed from your property.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:21 AM on Feb. 23, 2011