I read that 30 hours of flying is equivalent to a chest x-ray. Any thoughts on flying while pregnant? I fly a LOT for work.

JessicaNavarro

Asked by JessicaNavarro at 5:21 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I just read in a magazine that "flying is bad for your baby" is a myth. I know doctors don't like you to do it when you are closer to your due date though. I guess the only real way to know is to ask your doctor.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Being so high in the atmosphere does expose you to more radiation than being on the ground. Every time you have flown your ovaries have been exposed to extra radiation for your whole life. Is it significant enough to cause a problem? I don't know. The pilots and pilots unions would know. They threw quite a fit about being x-rayed multiple times in a day in addition to the flight exposer by TSA. I bet they have some research complied somewhere.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2011