Anyone else have issues with their "little" dog?

I don't particularly like little dogs but my husband got a min-pin almost 4 years ago and we have had nothing but problems with him. He is so mean and snaps all the time. He always growls when you pick him up and we recently got a boxer who is 8 months now and wants nothing to do with the little one but the little one snaps at him constantly. We are also having issues with him pottying in the house too.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 6:21 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pets

• I don't like little dogs either, I guess i don't have an answer for you but the times i have been around little dogs they are mean and very aggressive. I would take a larger dog anyday over that. I hope you find some answers but i think its just thier nature and if he is 4 then there probally isn't anyway of changing how he acts.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• That is me. The boxer is super sweet and gentle. I mean,,,,he is a moose don't get me wrong but behaves better and he is only a dang puppy
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 6:40 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Well, min pins are a rough breed. Most that I have seen are mean and agressive, on the other hand, I have 2 min pins and they are the sweetest dogs! I have been told by everyone who meets them that they are shocked, they have never seen min pins that don't snap at everyone! But...they do bark! Annoying but they don't bite, so that is a plus. It really is the breed, they HATE potty training. They are not good at it. You have to be extremely dedicated with min pins, taking them out a lot and it is best to try and make a schedule, they will learn after awhile when they are going out.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Every Mini pin I've ever met has been mean. They are cute but that is the only type of dog I've ever actually jumped away from because it started snapping at me out of nowhere. And it's embarrassing to jump away from something that small. I have a 8 pound silky terrier that's very sweet so nothing against little dogs.
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 7:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• See..I wish my husband would have researched this more. He is so impulsive sometimes
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 7:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• What are the situations when he is most likely to snap? Is it when he is eating? his space is being invaded? are treats and or toys involved? One problem that litte dogs tend to have is that the owners let them get away with more then they would a bigger dog. He may see himself as the the alpha dog in your pack. If I was you I would have a behaviorist come to your home and help you with this. But you need to set rules. Like not allowing him on furniture. If he snaps or growls when you try to remove him I would have him wear a short leash for a little while so you can use that. Make him sit at every door and not allow him to go through untel all of the people do. Make him earn EVERYTHING. AS far as when you pick him up pay attention to how he is being picked up because it may be a sensitive spot for him. He may also just not like it. I had a cat that HATED being picked up but she loved being held.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:52 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• "A tired dog is a happy dog"--so says Cesar Milan & I agree. Does your min-pin get adequate exercise? Is he leash trained? Had any obedience training? Min-pins are high energy dogs who need discipline & exercise. A good walk several times a day works wonders for any dog, but in paticular high strung/high energy breeds. A treadmill is a Godsend for any dog, but especially high energy dogs. His behavior could be due to frustration, & he will act out because of it. I recommend you buy Cesar Milan's book or DVD on how to be the pack leader. As for the potty training issue; keep him attached to you at all times. Tie a leash to your belt loop if you have to, but dont allow him to wander the house alone. If he has an accident in the house, donot yell at him; say firmly & in a calm voice "No", & immediately take him outside & put him down. if he goes potty outside, praise him to the heavens in a normal voice, not an excited voice.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 8:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• He growls no matter what ladies. Trust me...I know dogs. there is no reason for his actions. He gets what he needs.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• There is always a reason. For every behavior demonstrated by a dog there is a reason and a trigger to that behavior. DOgs are reactionary creatures, if there was no reason for him to behave this way he simply wouldn't. Look into NILIF, it can make a world of difference for a small dog suffering from small dog syndrome.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 10:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• lol..I have looked in to everything. I wish people wouldn't think I was so ignorant to the world of dogs. I simply asked if anyone else was having issues with this breed. No....sorry, he is reacting simply because he thinks everything is a threat. Not my type of dog. It is my husbands deal now. I am done
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Feb. 23, 2011