New Report: 'Higher Hate Group Count Than Ever' - thoughts?

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/23/133970226/new-report-higher-hate-group-count-than-ever?ft=1&f=1001

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 6:40 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I would like to know when they started to give the determination of 'hate group' to different groups and what the qualifiers are for that? I didn't see that in the article. This doesn't concern me much because I feel that it's fairly new that people are trying to give that label to different groups based on ideals that they don't like. I would imagine that a good amount of them may be hate groups, but some might not actually qualify for that determination.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think that their determinations of types of hate are also misleading. For instance, they call out 'radical traditional Catholicism' as a type of hate. Also Anti-Gay (which doesn't mean that they are anti Gay but that it could be a religious group that follows the bible and believes that homosexuality is wrong - not necessarily that they HATE). Another is the 'Anti-Immigration' which doesn't detail if it's anti-all immigration or if it's just anti-Illegal immigration. There are a lot of reasons that I can't take this report verbatim. I believe that there are hate groups, but I think that too many other groups that shouldn't qualify for that label are thrown into this mix.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:53 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• The left has become fantastic with the abitlity to label ANYONE who disagrees with them as "hateful". You disagree with gay marriage............ Then you "hate" gays. You are pro life.............. Then you "hate" women and/or womens rights. You disagree with Obama's politics (tea party).....Then you are racist/ "hate" black people. Bunch of BS :)
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Okay, after looking deeper into the info you gave, this is what I come up with that backs up my original opinion:
    from SPLC's sites "Hate Map":
    Hate group activities can include criminal acts, marches, rallies, speeches, meetings, leafleting or publishing. Websites appearing to be merely the work of a single individual, rather than the publication of a group, are not included in this list. Listing here does not imply a group advocates or engages in violence or other criminal activity.

I am not impressed with their research.  In TX they call out the Jewish Defense League as a 'General Hate' group.  It's a credibility fail IMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• . Another is the 'Anti-Immigration' which doesn't detail if it's anti-all immigration or if it's just anti-Illegal immigration.

It is both. look at the groups they list. It is just a tool of the far left wing.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• The term 'hate group' should have an impact, but with the loose labels that they throw around at groups that are just in disagreement with ideals renders the label practically meaningless. Just like calling someone a racist because they didn't vote for a person with dark skin. For most I think it has everything to do with a difference of ideals and nothing to do with racism. Just as some of these groups have nothing to do with hate, but rather sticking to a religious or personal ideal that doesn't match up with the ideals of these groups creating these studies.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• OH, I know.....It's Bush's fault, Palin is the reason and Beck pushes the agenda!!! And they are all racists and hate the President because he is black!

***

Silly rabbit...it's the fault of "FAUX NEWS!!" LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:42 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• SPLC? nuff said

Agreed. SPLC is a left wing hate group that does a tremendous amount of lying.

http://www.thesocialcontract.com/artman2/publish/tsc_20_3/index.shtml
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• SPLC is user generated content. Anyone can anything they want to it and they don't really fact check it. I could start a heading for Japanese Identity Hate Groups and identify them as people who think Asians are superior to all other races and use the word "Samurai" in their online user names to identify each other in secret. It would stand on their site, possibly for years, and come up every time someone did a search for hate groups. There is plenty of legitimate research to back this up.

They may contain legitimate info, but that doesn't make all of it legitimate. I indexed quite a bit of it for a sociology project my first semester at school - took about 20 minutes to gather 50-some outright false statements.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• National Radical Catholicism made it, but not the black panthers....Um...

Ok, here's my thoughts without bashing the OP because it's been done. There are so many "hate" groups because people have a skewed idea of hate. The word gets tossed around here like it's nothing. You're a "hater" if you disagree with Obama...I have no doubt that the "National Radical Catholicism" doesn't believe in gay marriage and is pro-life...and therefore branded as a hate group.

Um, Okay.

First off, I DO think gay marriage should be legal, but why should someone be branded as a hate group (that's a type by the way, several Churches are labeled) because of their religion? If they are not out bashing people's heads in, they shouldn't be labeled a hate group. IMO, this labeling is so hypocritical, and this website is actually promoting hatred.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011