Moms of Boys only please

I have an almost 4 year old(he will be 4 in April) that we are potty training(we had to put it off because he was born with hypospadia and had to have surgery on it so had to wait for the OK from the doctor).

We are in need of some suggestions as to make it easier and faster getting him trained? We have tried the cheerios in the toilet thing and it didn't work.

I know before he can go to preschool he has to be trained and we would like to be able to enroll him Fall 2011. He is good during the day letting us know when he has to go still has some accidents; it is more the nighttime training we are having problems with. Thanks for any suggestions

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:40 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• this may seem gross but boys get an erection before they pee, maybe about 5 mins or so before even, and just feel him up every so often and if you feel it or see it though the underwear take him!!! and the warm water thing works great to!
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Honestly, the nighttime training is just something kids have to come by. They have to learn to wake with the sensation to have to pee while they are sleeping. That can take awhile. As long as he is trained during the day he should be fine for preschool in the fall and by then he should be getting much better (if not fully) at nighttime.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• He isn't fully trained during the day but is getting there and I figure if we really concentrate on it from now till school starts again he should be trained. Thanks for the responses and please keep them coming.
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 6:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Are you using underwear or pull-ups? My kids considered pull-ups no different than diapers so that never worked for us; they had to be in underwear/it was much more effective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My son had surgery at 6 months for hypospadia. It's best to train him sitting down first, then standing. I did the 3 day training. Underwear only - protect your furniture and when (because he will) has an accident, say, "I know you don't want to wet your pants - remember that feeling you had before the accident? That feeling means you need to sit on the potty". Good luck! My son got trained in 3 days (a few accidents in the two months that followed) at age 2.5. It can be done - at this point with school coming up, I can understnd your worry.
    Jakesmommie

Answer by Jakesmommie at 7:14 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My son is 3 and has been potty trained for a year now. That being said, he sits for both pee and poop. I figured that standing would come with time. He uses a regular toilet and if he stands he can't reach the potty. I don't see any reason to teach him to stand right now.

As for night time, make sure he goes right before going to bed. Then you may have to get him out of bed after a few hours and take him to the potty again.

We didn't do the 3 day training, but we did go to no diapers during the day. He did wear pull ups at night until about November last year (night-night underwear). I started with training myself first. I didn't rely on him to tell me he had to go. I told him when we needed to try. Now at three, he normally tells me (although sometimes I just see him doing the potty dance). Good luck!
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 8:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• "Do you keep him in underwear all day and make him go often? That worked for us. And when he has accidents make sure he understands that he has to use the potty and change the underwear (obviously, lol).
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade 2 hours ago
    Credits: 4757 Level 18"

yes we do keep him in regular underpants all day and he knows that when he wets them he has to go in on the potty and then change his underpants
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Do you keep him in underwear all day and make him go often? That worked for us. And when he has accidents make sure he understands that he has to use the potty and change the underwear (obviously, lol).
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2011