Moms I need opinions--please no bashing or nasty remarks

Do you think that a 9 year old should be able to get himself ready for school without any help from you? and if they think they need your help all the time what would you do or say? Do you think there might be an underlying medical problem?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 7:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• At nine I would wake my kids up and they would get themselves dressed for school and make sure they had their backpacks ready to go. I would fix their breakfast unless they were eating at school that day, but even at 16 and 11 I still fix their breakfast most mornings, for me it's part of the "mom" job.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:52 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• yes, a 9 year old should basically be able to get themselves ready for school.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My girls are 9 and 10 and they pick out their own clothes (with my approval) and dress themselves, they fix their own breakfast.  The only thing I do is wake them up and I'm thinking of buying them their first alarm clock.  Sounds like he is manipulating you a bit.   What kind of issues are you having?

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I have 3 school-age children ages 5, 6, & 10. My boys ( 5&6) get themselves ready. I pick out their clothes and lay them out for them but other than that and the fact that I tie my 5 year old's shoes they do everything else and make sure their backpacks are ready to go. My 10 year old daughter does everything on her own. Including waking herself up with an alarm clock. I very seldom have to make her change her clothes because she don't match or is inappropriate (like shorts when its too cold). All my kids are pretty self sufficient.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:13 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I do think a nine year old may still need your direction getting organized each day...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My 9 year old still needed help.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• First you might want to start by taking out the childs clothing so they can put it on their self. Next you might not want to be so ready to go rushing to assist them. Tell them go back and try again. Kids get depending on their parents way to fast b/c we feel the need to put them together. I allowed my kids to dress themselves ever since 4 maybe 3. with a little assistance by 5 they were pros. Do not enable your child let them do it. No this might not have anything to do with a medical condition, the child my just be codepedent on you. If you see that your child has delayed development that is a big difference.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 7:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes
    skyhaven

Answer by skyhaven at 8:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My twin girls are now 11 and get ready themselves but at 9 they still needed help with doing their hair. Their hair is very curly and hard to manage and even still they ask for help sometimes with it if they want it braided or something. As far as picking out their own clothes and making their beds, pouring their own cereal or making toast etc and getting backpacks ready they handled all that fine at 6 or so. Nothing wrong with independence but it's also okay to baby them sometimes:)

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 12:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 7:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2011