Those of you who play the piano, a ?

My son is 8, and was exposed for the first time to a piano at a meeting yesterday, and the look on his face as he "played" was priceless!

I want to be able to expose him a little more to playing but we don't have a lot of money. Should I just buy him the kids type toy keyboards from wal-mart?Or does he need a full size keyboard that maybe I could look for on ebay?

I don't know how long this enthusiasm will last so I want to make the most of it while I can..

bookmommy

Asked by bookmommy at 7:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you can afford it, I'd buy the bigger one as it's much closer to an actual piano keyboard. Sometimes you can find good deals on them. At Christmastime, I spotted in the Big Lots weekly ad a full-size keyboard with all the bells and whistles for $100 and recommended it to a friend whose daughter wanted one (they couldn't afford an actual piano). Checking on Ebay and Craigslist for a slightly used one is a good idea too.
    Best of luck to you!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:09 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• will it frustrate him if his "reach" is small with the large keys? I know when I took a few lessons as an adult, it did me..
    bookmommy

Comment by bookmommy (original poster) at 7:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I don't think so. I started piano lessons at the age of 5 or 6, on a real piano, and I was a tiny little thing. Never even had an electronic keyboard til later.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would choose the bigger one as well. I started at 3 years old, and my 'reach' never really bothered me, plus you get used to stretching after a while :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I started piano lessons at 4 on a regular piano - the "reach" isn't an issue. Your fingers/hands learn to stretch, and you learn how to position your fingers so it's not a problem. I've seen pianos on freecycle before, and my mom just donated one to Goodwill (I think?), you may just have to look around in your area to find something affordable.

Answer by missanc at 9:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Electric keyboards are awful and don't mimic the way a real piano makes sound at all. Find a place where he can practice, like a local college or music store, on a real piano.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2011