But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?

~Mark Twain

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:28 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Sahamamax2-looks like it depends on ones view of Satan- there are many of us that do not believe him to be a "being" but more of the embodiment of the evils of the world-sin itself so to speak- when we pray for the cleansing of evil and sin and for the light and goodness to reach all-we are in effect praying for "Satan"- the other side- Satan as a being unworthy of redemption is not a concept I adhere to so I can not speak to that aspect of it-
    BTW- I do not buy into the notion that those that do not believe are some how being controlled or lead by some evil being and need to be saved or prayed for-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• No sahmamaX2.
    Humans are are not fully aware of every consequence of a sin, nor have we been to heaven, experienced God's glory and turned away. Satan knows EVERY consequence. When someone does not go to church (as an example) do they fully understand how that sin will effect their lives, their children and everyone around them..EVERY consequence of that sin? It's hard to understand because we try to give human characteristics to everything but demons are not human and they don't think or act like we do. I know it goes against every "we are all equal" thing that we are taught but the spiritual realm and the physical are not equal.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 10:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Angels are beings that are not in need of redemption, grace, and mercy.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• That's a great question! I never thought it made sense to think of 'evil' as an external being. And if He is 'fallen from grace', why didn't anyone pray for him or help him? That's not very compassionate. Awesome question--hadn't thought about it . :-)

I don't know why you've had so many snarky answers on these questions. I thought they were good, and I've enjoyed reading them waiting for my little one to wake up this morning. ♥

I don't know why people are so afraid to think about these things and a question is just a question...just ANSWER it or SKIP it if you don't like it, but personally I'm tired of people telling people there's something wrong with their question. Unless it violates CM guidelines, just answer or move on. I rarely get offended by questions. I like questions that make me think whether they are similar to my views or even completely opposite. Many non-theists are interested in religious study.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Satan is not human. When he chose to sin against God he was fully aware of the consequences of that action. Angels and Demons are purely intellectual beings and have powers and knowledge that we do not. Jesus took on a human nature to sanctify creation that had become fallen as a result of influence of Satan. Satan is not, and can never be, a child of God and therefore can never receive the redemptive love of Christ. The only prayers said in vain or those for Satan and his demons.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 10:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• tobys mommy and ptomom said it perfectly! Lucifer was in heaven and built up so much pride he was cast out along with a third of the angels (those who followed him). We already know his fate..and he does as well. His sin was different than ours and he has been given chances in the past. He refuses and here we are. He hates God and ALL God's creation (people, animals, nature, EVERYTHING). He even hates those who follow him. It's not hypocritical or lack of compassion why Christians do not pray for him. It's an understading of God and His word.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 3:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• kittieashy--well said! Satan is not capable of love, of being or doing good, he is not capable of the truth. Satan IS hate and evil. The Bible says that he is a liar and the father of lies; that he roams about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. Like tobys.mommy said, he is not human. He has no need for prayer.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 4:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My son believes that Satan has free will and can be redeemed.....So did an early Church Father, Origen.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You could pray for him, you got time today I think.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• See...you got time just like I said.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2011