It is fear that first brought gods into the world.

~Petronius Arbiter, Satyricon

This I guess is the argument that the idea of god(s) is man-made and was created because man had many fears of the unknown (and still do).

Agree or not?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I doubt it was fear- more of a need to connect with the world around them. I know I have no fear when it comes to religion-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• "Then why do christians fear gay marriage, abortion clinics, demons, death, non-believers, and a thousand other things?"

Not all of us do. Many support gay marriage, are pro-choice, reject the existence of demons, do not fear death, accept and respect the paths of others, etc, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Nope.
    I think the human nature tends to want to believe or have hope in something.
    whether or not they choose God or a God, is developed with life experiences.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• When you are truly connected to God, there isn't fear. Religious has been used to understand the universe but this is only one aspect of faith, when you study people who were really spiritually connected, there is peace about them not fear.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Witchqueen, perhaps you should recognize that not everyone's experience is the same as your own and stop trying to make it seem as though religion as a whole is so terrible merely because of your personal, individual experience and opinion of it. Just because you never felt peace doesn't mean there aren't many of us who do, doesn't change that the religion is MEANT to help people find peace. I'm sorry for whatever you may have gone through, but your reality does not shape the reality or experience of everyone else, and just because it was a negative experience for YOU doesn't mean it is for everyone or that its supposed to be.

Not all Christians are subjected to fear, guilt, tyrannical perceptions of God, etc. That may be your reality and how YOU see things but that doesn't mean you've the right to claim its that way for all of us, to always generalize and stereotype. Many find love, peace, hope, and joy through our faiths.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It seems as though religion attempts to sell security to people about the unknown. Doing this it makes rukes and regulations in attempt to control the followers. Still in debate about these issues myself.
    sydash11

Answer by sydash11 at 7:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Same concept as a child who believes something is under their bed in the dark. They can not see it, they fear it, therefore they project that fear into a pseudo-reality. Same effect that fear has had on humanity since the dawn of our existence. Once our brains gained critical mass, and we became slightly more self aware than the beasts which we hunted, we sought to explain those things in our environment which we had no solid, viable explanation for. Hence forth the deities were born into our reality, spawned from the fear of that which we could not comprehend, explain, or were awe stricken by.

Fear can be healthy- when it is aptly placed. Fear of lightening, for example. It will kill you. Applying a god/gods/deity to control this deadly thing which we could not understand, and rightfully feared was the only course of action which made sense. We now know better, and yet people still believe.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• AGREE
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I have seen this said many times about pagan gods, but if it gets said about the god of Abraham it is considered offencive (not talking about women here just things I have heard irl). It often makes me shake my head that they can attach this to gods that others still believe in and think it is fine to say but than get offended and attack you if you try to even mention that if it can be applied to pagan gods it can be applied to their god as well.

As for the saying itself I think some find god out of fear I think others find god out of need and others out of love. It will be different reasoning for everyone. The real question is if they are truthful to themselves about that reason.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• dependant upon the faith

There is no dependence in Faith- its all free will and freeing-nothing negative about it-
    I am not sure where you are getting these negative vibes from-possibly from misunderstanding of what Faith feels like-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011