What religion a man shall have is a historical accident, quite as much as what language he shall speak.

~George Santayana, Reason in Religion Is this true?

Does religious history in your family and geographical affiliations determine what religion people tend to be? If you're born in the Middle East, chances are you will be Muslim simply because your family is and because everyone else there is...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:42 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I would have to say true. My mom laid the foundation of my faith. As I got older, I studied Scripture for myself and found that what she had taught me was true. Although my denomination changed, the basic principles were still there. While I agree that we have vast knowledge at our fingertips and that helps people to decide for themselves what to believe, I don't think it's all that wide-spread. I don't think that many of the smaller countries have access to the Internet, for the most part. So I would have to say it is highly likely that children in most regions will follow the same religious course as their parents.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 3:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I believe this is true.....but I also believe that all religions worship the same Creator....and that we relate to the creator how we are...not how He/She is...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Obviously, yes, how/where someone is raised has a huge impact on what faith one is exposed to, though I do agree with others who say that "the world is getting smaller" since it is easier nowadays to be exposed to and knowledgeable of other faiths and therefore to choose other paths for yourself than before.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• If the number one predictor of which God someone believes in is what culture and time period they happened to have been born in, what does that say about the actual existence (or not) of a deity?

I don't think its if you believe in a deity or not-its IF you believe how you practice that belief that is influenced by your culture- I am sure there are Atheists in even the most Islamic of countries. The existence of a deity is not proved or disproved by how people practice their beliefs-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Probably true to an extent, but the world is getting smaller in many ways. I wasn't born in India or China, but I'm very drawn to Buddhism and Taoism, and that is central to my practice. Scientific Pantheism is all over the world, but the founder is from the UK, but pantheism itself is older than any existing religion so it can also be found all over the world. I would say it's usually true unless someone purposely travels and/or studies other religions or often interacts with people of different beliefs. The church I attended as a child was the one my family attended, but then I had a lot of questions and explored other options.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It seems very true doesn't it? Based on how people are raised and what their demographic area is tends to greatly impact their choce of religion. Are there exceptions to this, of course and as our technology increases and communication and information becomes more available to everyone more people will stray from what they were raised with and we wil see more exceptions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Perhaps it was true 100, or even 50 or 20 years ago, but in this day and age and in the future, with the internet and mass communication, almost anyone can access any information from anywhere. This will lead to greater diversity.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• culture can influence in your religion but as a adult you have the will of regret and pick your own believes...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 12:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I agree with soyousay - I don't believe that just because people relate to and understand Divinity and Transcendence differently around the world in any way invalidates or disproves that Divinity or Transcendence. If anything it further convinces me that for people of all times and places to find it somehow there really must be Something to find. Of course we'd all relate to that Something differently - we all have different perceptions, different customs and worldviews, different ways of understanding. But the fact that this Something is found almost universally means something to me. I also think that the different relationships and understandings is intentional, so that the Divine can be accessible to all, but I guess that's another discussion...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It stands to reason that many people remain the religion that they were born into without ever thinking too much about it or considering any alternatives. My parents are examples of this... they haven't been to church in decades but still consider themselves 'Christians' because that's what they were baptized into as infants sixty some years ago. It's been 'good enough' for them all these years, and I know a lot of other people who also accept the religion of their upbringing/heritage without much thought about it.

I do think in this day and age it's easier for people to 'search' if they are not finding fulfilment in the religion of their youth... I know that I am from a predominantly Christian area but practice Buddhism because monotheism never made sense to me, even as a child. So there are certainly people who go against the grain. But probably more who stay with what they know best.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011