How would you change adoption processes to make the system work better?

There are way too many children in the WORLD that need loving homes. The process of adoption can be lengthy and expensive. What do you suggest as solutions to make the system work more effectively, bringing children into homes faster and with less expense?

Nonoluna

Asked by Nonoluna at 7:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Adoption

• Adoption should first and foremost go back to being about finding a home for a child who needs one, not finding a child for a home that needs one. Thousands of children are waiting in the foster care system ~ they are true orphans who need a family, and the costs are minimal to adopt this way. The adoption industry is a multi-billion dollar a year industry that needs to be regulated somehow. Millions of dollars per year should not be spent finding ways to convince mothers facing an unexpected pregnancy to give their child up for adoption. Family Preservation should be the most important consideration for ALL children, before adoption is even considered. Adoption should only be considered for a newborn if a mother TRULY has no desire to parent, or if abuse of any kind or neglect is a part of the mother's life.
    susie703

Answer by susie703 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would make it illegal to advertise to pregnant women about adoptions. If there are so many kids in need of homes they dont need to find women to give up babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Firstly I fully agree with the above answer. Much of the money paid to adoption agencies goes towards advertising. If there were less domestic infants available then more people would adopt from the system or from foreign orphanages.

I don't think the process should be less lengthy. I think all due diligence should be taken to make sure that a child doesn't have birth family that can care for it and to make sure that the child does not end up as a sex slave. (like what happened after the tsunami)

I do think the cost should be reduced by putting a limit on how much can be paid for a child. No one should be getting rich off International Adoption. That causes corruption and kidnappings.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Make waivers to legal representation illegal. Make it illegal for adoption lawyers and agencies to enter hospitals. And, this: http://reformadoption.com/Reform/NIARA.shtml
    HeatherRainbow

Answer by HeatherRainbow at 7:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would want to see safeguards in place to protect everyone in the triad from being exploited; open records for adoptees; and I would like to see some infertility treatments covered by health insurance, just like any other body part that is not working. DH is not open to foster-adopt (I recently tried to convince him) and I would like another child. I'm sure there are many couples like us out there.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I dont think as Americans we will ever be able to dictate how other countries do things. Even when we think we know best or even when we know we know best, other countries will not see it that way. There are some countries who would rather see their orphans die on their soil rather than allow an "ugly american" to swoop in and adopt.

As far as the US, I think there is a complete overhaul that needs to be done. There is way too much profit available and each state is extremely different as far as what can be charged and paid. There needs to be the same waiting period, same costs, same processes no matter where you adopt. The entire process should be transparent. It should be a matter of public record to show how much agencies make, especially when they claim to be non-profit.
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 9:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Personally, I don't think it should be one bit EASIER to adopt. I fully agree with OTT - about the hoops to jump thru. In fact, sometimes it's much too easy to adopt. Parenting is hard. Adoptive parenting is often even more difficult just because there are more issues to deal with. Making it easy isn't the way, in my opinion.

NOW- I do feel like it's HORRIBLE to charge the fees and things that are charged - to me, it almost equals legalized child selling. And I DEPLORE seeing ads for unborn babies. I don't feel like all infant domestic adoptions are bad - in fact, I think in some instances it's best - but I also feel like too many people are like sharks and only care about their own gain... either money or a child no matter the cost.

I feel the OBC should be something provided upon adoption since it's hard to or impossible to obtain later.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 2:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yes . . . make it less expensive . . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• There are over 120,000 children in the United States foster care system who are legally cleared for adoption whose original families cannot be reunited or preserved who cost little to nothing to adopt.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would say maybe offer grants to couples that want to adopt from expensive agencies for local or international adoptions. Maybe advertise more about the children that are already available instead of advertising to pregnant mothers as much.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 6:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2011