S/O What does it mean in your religion to be a woman?

I was raised Christian and there are parts of the bible that deal directly with women and correct womanly behaviour. Things like what's expected when a girl becomes a woman with the onset of the menstrual cycle, what's expected of a good wife, outlines of what a bad woman is and so on.

I'd like to know what your religion has to say about being a woman and the life milestones that happen like, first menstrual, motherhood, life partnerships, grand-children and so on.

isabellalecour

Asked by isabellalecour at 8:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Remember, thou art Goddess"

I believe all women are goddesses, the the Goddess is in every woman (natural born or otherwise).

Upon her Menarche (her first menses), she becomes Maiden, upon Menopause, she becomes Crone. Somewhere in the middle, she is Mother. Now "Mother" can be any creative force, from birthing and rearing children, to art and gardening, etc.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I am Catholic/Christian and I dont go off what the Bible says regarding women because times were different then. I believe God expects us to make some progress in our thinking and what not. Obviously he loves both man and woman and I think he gifts us all equally. Some men in fact could be better home makers in some relationships, and some women are better bread winners. At the end of the day the only thing I think that matters is that we respect our spouses and ourselves and treat everyone the way we want to be treated.

Answer by gemgem at 8:13 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Basically, we have the babies.
    That's about it. teehee
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I dont feel that gender has anything to do with how we grow as a person. Male or female; we are all created equal. I respect the bibles teachings, but I certainly donot use it's views on male/female roles; an archaicword IMO, in life as my guide. I'm catholic/christian & do honor some of the bibles teachings & beliefs, but not for certain aspects of my life because it was written in a time when women were viewed as lesser beings.

I live my life to honor my God, & I try to serve Him by doing daily, what I feel He would like us to do.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 8:25 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• The experience of women in Buddhism has varied throughout the years, but generally they have been seen as equals, especially relative to their role in other religions. We're all human beings who want to cease suffering, live compassionately, etc. Siddharta Gautama (Buddha) first ordained women as nuns and allowed them to join monastic communities within a few years of his enlightenment. I know in Zen (Chan) Buddhism, women have been teachers and ordained as well. Honestly, I'd have to look into any further distinctions in teaching and views, because it's been my impression that there's not much distinction between the teachings of men and women in Buddhism. There's usually more distinction between those to choose monastic life verses those who choose to live as a householder.

Women in Buddhism
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• @ Dull. That is my point. *eye roll* if it does not apply today, it never applied at all.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• If you're refering to the OT ways of cleansing (for menstral cycle) Christians are not bound by levitical law. I use Proverb 31 and also other verses relating to my behavior and conduct. However, Jesus greatly respeceted women. we were not second class to Him. We are equal heirs with Him. We are daughters of God, we are princesses because our Father is the King of kings. We are holy and righteous and loved by the Beloved. We are so treasured by our Heavenly Father. I can't even explain God's love for His children because it's more than we can ever comprehend. I like the way MercyMe says it, "I am treasured, I am sacred, I am His..I'm beautiful" :) If you're a Christian who has never had an intimate experience (a non-sexual intimate experience) I suggest reading Song of Songs (Song of Solomon). Pray before for Him to show you His love and press in to Him. You will not be disappointed :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 3:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• MamaK pretty much nailed it. All women are Goddesses, the Goddess is in every woman, we are powerful, etc.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm Buddhist, so there's no real distinction. We're all human.
    Nothing magical happens when we begin to mentruate, it's just htat now our bodies are physically capable of having a child.

All humans should strive for the same things, regardless of gender.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 8:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• catholic here so i agree with jee
    cook224

Answer by cook224 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011