When do they test to find out what triggers your child's asthma?

what age? 4, 5, older?

i ask because my middle child is 2 and has been suffering from it since october. she was hospitalized for 2 days and diagnosed with reactive airway disease and they said they dont want to call it asthma until shes older, but she "pretty much" has it. she got sick a couple of weeks ago pretty badly and her pediatrician said she "thinks" its asthma. however, she doesnt know if its caused by viruses or seasonal allergies. the last time she was sick, she covered all the bases by giving her an antibiotic & an allergy medicine, along with her daily nebulizer treatments.

yesterday, i started noticing her coughing/wheezing. no chest retractions yet, thank god, knock on wood! so i immediately started with a neb treatment and gave her a teaspoon of claritin before bed. this morning, low grade fever & still coughing/wheezing just a little.

now that Springtime is here, the pollen count in our area is way up. we didnt go out much yesterday, just to & from my 4 year olds school. but i dont know how allergies work at all, nobody in either of our families suffer from it. so i dont know how much outside exposure to pollen would make her symptoms flare up. and i also have no idea if its allergy related or if she is just coming down with a cold thats making her symptoms flare up.

when do they do the tests to figure out if its allergy or virus related? im sick of her getting sick every couple of weeks and everyone "thinking" its asthma but not knowing for sure. wouldnt a simple blood test reveal if she has allergies?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Kids' Health

• The youngest my kids were tested was at age 3. When my kids got their allergy tests done they were 3, 5 and 9
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would take her to an allergy and asthma specialist. They can do skin testing for all kinds of common allergens. My daughter was tested when she was just over 3 yrs old. Allergy to dust mites is a common trigger for asthma. Once they find out exactly what she may be allergic to, they can prescribe a daily allergy med for her. Possibly a nasal spray as well. I was told that Claritin is the least effective antihistamine on the market. My daughter takes Allegra and it works really well. They can also start her on allergy shots which may help to eventually decrease her allergic response. The doc also told me that specific tests for asthma can't be done until they are older because they need to do breathing tests, etc. Seriously, take her to a specialist--there's no need for your daughter to keep suffering so much when there may be more help for her.
    natersmom76

Answer by natersmom76 at 8:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2011