How young is too young to potty train?

Wow! I am watching Good Morning America and there are moms that potty train their babies. There was one mom that is potty training a 4 month old!!!!!! How does that even work? Wow I guess I was really late training mine lol My kids were between 2 and 3...

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:25 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Wow i"m really thankful someone posted this, I learned alot and it answered some questions I had. I do have one more though. My daughter is 9 mos old and is already wanting to start walking. When would be the right time for me to start working towards this goal?
    IzysMomma

Answer by IzysMomma at 2:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• IMO people who potty-train infants are missing a few screws. the way it works is you know your baby eats every so many hours so you take him/her to the potty in between and of course they are bound to use it. does that mean they learned anything? that they can now control their bladder/bowel movements? that they can tell you they have to go? no, it just means you put them on the potty at the right time.

the best age to start is when THE CHILD starts showing interest.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i started shortly after she started to walk,it didnt work so well so i gave it a break and than tried again.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:26 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yeah it seems a little crazy to potty train an infant. My oldest started showing interest at 18 months but was not fully trained until she was a little after 2. My 17 month old has not shown the slightest interest in potty training, so we'll probably hold off for awhile.  I think if you start when a baby is not ready then it takes longer and there are more accidents. There are people out there though that swear by the day method and others that start training very early, I guess it can work for some but it is not for me. I don't mind the diaper days, I like that my baby is a baby.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It is called Elimination Communication not potty training because yes the children cannot tell you they have to go yet. I know people who have done it and their reasons have nothing to do with potty training the children, but rather saving money on diapers etc and also teaching the children to potty train earlier eventually. My kids were both potty trained around 18 months old and day trained within a few months and night trained a little after that. They showed the signs of readiness so we did it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:13 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i just finished my 3 year old on this. He was intrested in it at 13months old, so i thought i would give it a shot, he did good for like a 1 day then it went down hill and it was a fight to get him to sit on it. So i waited until he was 2 to try it again since i was pregnant with his brother and wanted him out of diapers but it still was a fight, he knew where his pee and poop went but didn't want to do it. he was 2 and half when his brother was born, 3 weeks after his brother was born he told me right out Mommy No diapers, me pull ups, so i tried it again thinking ya this will just be one time deal thing again, but i was wrong and he did for 5 days in the pull up and on the 6th day he was in underwear. So he is three, i would say when they start showing interest in it or when they are good in ready they will do it.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 9:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Agree with TNM786.
    lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• 9 months is a good age to start with a girl. My daughter was almost 10 months when she started walking.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2011