My husbands dog is crazy, What to do?

I have too many animals... I feel like I am living in a zoo! We have a aultrailian shepard that has...ISSUES! She has these quirks, gaurding husbands dirty clothes in bathroom, gaurding bones toys and leashes, and dont even think about taking off her collar. Well now and then she gets really unpredictable and I never know when she may go nutzo on me or one of the kids. She hasnt bitten anyone in the family yet , but she does on occasion go after our male dog. I want her gone! She is a sweet dog, but crazy. The other day she went after our male dog they got in a huge fight, she just attacked him. He is a pit so if he wanted to he could end things fast but he is so patient with her. Make matters worse it was in the kitchen while I was cooking, my 2yr daughter was close to being right in the middle of it! What should I do? Should I take matters into my own hands and put her down?

heartstory6

Asked by heartstory6 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Pets

• I wouldnt put her down at all...She just may need a older couple that has no more animals. Killing is not the solution.
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Don't put her down. You have to look at the breed of dog she is. Aussies are high-energy herding dogs that NEED a job. They also need basic obedience. Teach her agility, flyball, or to catch frisbees. She's just frustrated at not having a task. I can talk you through it if you need my to. Feel free to PM me. :) I'm experienced with Aussies.
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 3:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I agree with NewArrival. It is not the dog--it is the breed and the fact she is a dog in need of a job. People really need to take into account the type of lifestyle they live and the energy they have before they get a dog. Most dogs' problems begin with the people. I would not put her down but find a better home for her with a person who has the time and energy to give her what she needs. This is a good example of a lack of training. So much can be avoided if people would train their dogs from the day they bring them home. Dogs start to react to their environments and then people "blame" the dog for "nutzo" behavior. Take NA up on her offer if you plan to keep her. And I would suggest you read some good books on dog behavior and training--like Cesar Millan's books.

Anonymous

• DO NOT put that dog down! Just because your household isnt the right fit (and please understand I am not saying its a bad house different bredds have different needs) doesnt mean someone else house wont be the right fit. My parents had a border collie and they had several of the same issues as the aussies do. It wasn't the right fit. They sent him to a border collie rescue in canada for performance trained dogs he was trained in fly ball and this dog was rehabilitated and adopted out within a few weeks coincidently back to the same state he came form. They gets pics and updates on him regularly adn he is totally different dog. Please consider the needs and feelings of your dog. If you want to work with her research the breed if yuo dont have the time surrender her to someone prepared for the challenge of rehabilitation
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• If it were me, I would try to find another home for the dog. My IL's had a dog that they just said was "cranky". She used to fight with other dogs if they came near her, guard her food, her leashes, other things like that. I didn't like my kids being around her, but they refused to do anything. Then one day my son who was only 8 or so months old at the time crawled too close to her food bowl and the dog bit him, then went after my husband when he pulled her off the baby. While maybe it's not entirely the dogs fault, maybe she was bored or whatever, at that moment when my son was bleeding, I really didn't care. To me, if you're not sure, it's better to be safe than sorry. Imagine how you would feel if one day she does hurt one of your kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• The dog just needs training
    Anonymous

• Yes, try training first but until the dog is trained, keep it away from your children, other children and other animals. If training dosen't work, contact a local rescue group. Sometimes dogs do better in a different home.

Both of our dogs are full breed rescues. There is usually a rescue group for just about any breed.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 7:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Well, it maybe hard to let the dog go, since it is yor husband's.. You need to be firm with her, I think she has grown attached to ur DH and thinks of him as her mate. I would spend some time with her and remind her who is in control. It sounds like she has an attitude that she's QUEEN B. Also, I would discipline her if she snarls or etc when you grab her toys. That, if not taken care of, can lead to you or someone else getting bit bc she is defending her property...
    mrsfarris

Answer by mrsfarris at 2:42 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• you have a working type breed of dog with no job. until your shepherd finds her a job in the house she will create her own, i have border collies and they are they same way. they have to feel as if they are working, and then will be the best dog ever.
    we take our two collies out every evening and let them believe they are working,they go to the mailbox, they go to the garage, they scout out the neighborhood, and traverse the pond. working dogs make poor housepets if they cannot do what they are bred to do.
    our chowchow could care less and the lab just does goofy stuff all day when she isn't swimming, they do what they were bred to do.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 12:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Was the dog there before you? I'd be very careful on overstepping your bounds.
    Anonymous