Pit bull and a child question.

Just recently had to put our one dog down so now it's just the pit bull. She was adopted and usually a very sweet dog. She has more freedom in the house now that it's just her and I let her sleep in my room on the floor on her own bed. Well this morning my daughter who is 2 came in my room while the dog was still asleep. My daughter must have been poking her and the dog snapped at her. My daughter started crying and she has a small scratch on her face. Would you get rid of the dog?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pets

• No she just startled the dog. You have to probably make sure to seperate your child and the dog. At that age they are going to poke and startle animals. I have a shih tzu who is close to 10 yrs old and my dd annoys her often and has been snapped at by her and well she isnt a pit bull. Any dog is going to do this, not just a pit.
    In the end its your decision. My oldest dd is 22 and she got rid of her dog because her kids are 4 & 2 and her 2 yr old was too rough on the dog. I chose to keep my dog and just teach my youngest dd not to annoy animals.

Answer by gemgem at 9:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My opinion, no! Does your DD understand the phrase "Let sleeping dogs lay"? She's young, so maybe not. Just teach her that you never bother a dog that is sleeping, ever.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think I would have to. I wouldn't be able to trust the dog anymore, and while it may not be the dog's 'fault', it would probably be better for everyone involved if the dog went to a new home(not the pound!). We had a similar situation, only the dog was a German Shepherd, and she bit so close to my son's eye that a couple of centimeters and he'd be blind. He still has a scar from it. She was asleep and he was trying to pet her, and she woke up and just snapped. I was sad, but I couldn't see any other way around it. The dog had to go. I gave her to my dad, who breeds German Shepherds, and she now has a big yard to run around in and other dogs to play with.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I am teaching her but she does not listen! Lol I have a very strong willed daughter! Lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would, specially since she was adopted, you never know and I would not want to find out the hard way.

Answer by older at 9:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• no but honestly if it happened again yes. the child is young and it is also her house. i have a doberman and a three year old. the three year old can do whatever she wants to this dog and the dog just takes it. no i dont let my daughter abuse the dog,she does like to lay with the dog and some times i see her leading the dog arouund the house with its collar. i would never have an animal i felt i couldnt trust with my kids.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• No - get rid of the daughter.
    do_me22

Answer by do_me22 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Most kids are strong willed, but realize it will take more then a few months to teach a child about pets. I have always had dogs and I think most of my kids have been snapped at and even had small scratches on them when they were rough with them. We had one shih tzu who snapped at all 5 of my kids and nipped at 3 of them. We always said he was marking them or scaring them. After that they rarely bothered that dog again. Three of my kids are now older (17,18 and 22) and know what it takes to care for a pet. I dont know if they hadnt had the time or experiences they had if theyd have that knowledge. Again though, it is your choice. We just had to rehome a dog and I know how hard it is. My sons dog was never really trained well, was hyper, and would jump on my youngest and the grandkids. I got rid of her so she could have a home where she had more freedom, not because of the kids per say.

Answer by gemgem at 9:09 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• All dogs are prone to do this, so I would NEVER allow her alone with the dog. I have 3 shelties and two can snip and snap at times. The troubling thing is your dog is a pittbull. Being their jaw strength is so much stronger than any dog, I would be worried. If you are attached to your dog, then I would say don't get rid of the dog. But I would not let my daughter around the dog. If your daughter comes into your room, then I would put the dog in a crate or have the dog sleep somewhere where your daughter wouldn't get to the dog. If your dog continues to show aggression, then I would find a pitt rescue to place your dog in. A 2 year old is too young to fuly understand the concept of leave the dog alone. They forget, and you don't want her hurt. So if the dog only gets annoyed sleeping give the dog his or her own space safely away from anywhere your daughter can go.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would either get rid of the dog or crate it or put it out at night. Your child's safety always has to come before your pet.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2011