Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1099 question(s)

I worked for a company for about a month. They paid me in cash, but I did get a receipt showing how many hours I worked, how much tax they took out, etc. I had asked them several time for the w-9 paperwork so that they could give me a w-2 (all the other employees were getting a w-2). They never gave me the paperwork. Anyways, the first week of February, I called them and left them a message because I had not received anything from them. I never heard back from them and I tried calling a few more times. I have had several problems with this company while I worked for them and after (they refused to pay me my last paycheck but finally did). After waiting and not hearing back from them, I went ahead and filed my taxes. Yesterday, I received a 1099 from them. My questions are-

Were they not suppose to have these sent out by January 31st?

The information on the 1099 and the info on my paycheck receipt do not match up. I am tired of dealing with these people, what can I do? They are saying that they paid me more than what I actually made and it's only showing a little bit of the taxes they took out on me. They took out 25% but only showing about 10%. What can I do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • Did you use the receipts to file your taxes already? I would use the receipts to file your taxes and enter the information as you have it on there. Then IF you end up getting audited because they sent the 1099 to the IRS and the IRS flags it because the info is different you can tell the IRS just what you told us and the IRS will likely investigate the company since you do have pay stubs saying how much they took out etc and that doesn't match what they sent the IRS. Good luck and I hope you don't get audited.

    Answer by aeneva at 9:25 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • They have to give you a 1099 by the 31st.

    Answer by UpSheRises at 9:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • UpSherises, what happens to them if they don't?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • 1099's dont' have to be sent out until Feb 15th. Do what aeneva said.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • Can't you amend your return?

    Answer by tasches at 1:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • You need to file a claim with your state's department of labor, to get back the money they deducted for taxes.

    Answer by rkoloms at 1:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.